What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Removing interlock nannies on tools

AlexPeterson

Well Known Member
I suspect many on this forum have found ways to make tools more usable, particularly when the interlocks almost prevent the use of the tool. I'll bet there are some entertaining stories to be shared in this regard.

Today I was vacuuming sawdust from the bandsaw, and the vacuum gulped down the little interlock insert in the electrical switch. About a millisecond later, I remembered that I did this once several years ago. That time I tore open the shop vac bag, dug through the filth until I found it. This time, I had a different approach:

That red material could easily be used as a replacement for the wing spars. It took about 5 or 10 minutes of chewing to bust that sucker off from the switch.

I've never defeated the interlocks on my tools, although some of 'em are pretty aggravating.

My Dad, however, is a master of "fixing" interlocks. Occasionally it gets him in trouble.

Like the time he fixed the kill switch on the rototiller. He had started the tiller and then turned on his "autopilot", which was a length of rope he used to hold the kill switch (lever) in the "run" position.

Which was fine until he ran over a yellow jacket nest with the tiller. Dad took off in one direction, chased by 1/2 the swarm. The tiller continued chugging along, with many yellow jackets in slow pursuit. Eventually, the tiller ran into a tree and turned over. Fuel from the tank spilled onto the hot exhaust manifold and the whole thing went up in flames.

Too bad nobody got that entire incident on film. It was guaranteed to win $50k or watever the big prize is on "America's Funniest Home Videos"

I've never defeated the interlocks on my tools, although some of 'em are pretty aggravating.

My Dad, however, is a master of "fixing" interlocks. Occasionally it gets him in trouble.

Like the time he fixed the kill switch on the rototiller. He had started the tiller and then turned on his "autopilot", which was a length of rope he used to hold the kill switch (lever) in the "run" position.

Which was fine until he ran over a yellow jacket nest with the tiller. Dad took off in one direction, chased by 1/2 the swarm. The tiller continued chugging along, with many yellow jackets in slow pursuit. Eventually, the tiller ran into a tree and turned over. Fuel from the tank spilled onto the hot exhaust manifold and the whole thing went up in flames.

Too bad nobody got that entire incident on film. It was guaranteed to win $50k or watever the big prize is on "America's Funniest Home Videos"
Now, that there is some funny sh#$, I don't care who you are!

I used to have one of those aggrivating switches on my drill press. Stein supplied the parts to set things right. I don't think I have a single tool that's OSHA-approved.

I used to have one of those aggrivating switches on my drill press. Stein supplied the parts to set things right. I don't think I have a single tool that's OSHA-approved.

It's a well documented fact that an OSHA-approved workship is, in fact, worthless for getting anything done.

Back