What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Removing front floors (QB fuse)?

Space Cadet

Well Known Member
Starting to tackle the QB Fuselage a bit. Got all the temporary pop rivets out and the floors up, except the front ones. Looks like it might be very difficult pulling the front floors, just wanted confirmation that was the case?

Thanks,
Dwight

Front Floors

Several have removed the front floors. I started the process with the intent of putting some kind of sound proofing/heat barrier under the floor. I removed the left floor and gear weldment. It was a very difficult job and I felt like I was in danger of doing some damage in a few spots. During the process I determined that I did not want to put any thing under the floor, so did not remove the right side. It seems that good carpet backing does a nice job in the noise and heat department. No loose tools, clecos, or trash under the floor panel in my airplane. It went back together easier than it came apart, but was still a difficult job. All of the bolts were damaged during the removal, so I fashioned them into guide pins as suggested by others. That worked great. I replaced all of the bolts I removed with new ones. I would not do it unless you are planning on putting something under the floor. I felt like I spent a lot of time and effort undoing something I had paid to have done at the Quick Build factory.

My 2 cents worth. (and not worth a penny more)

Thanks!

That's what I figured, thanks.

Looks like the same answer for the pilot/co-pilot side panels, under the door frames. Lots of screws, but not coming out easily. No big deal, just trying to get access to everything reasonable.

Dwight

Removing Side Panels

Dwight,

If you are talking about removing F1015D, I removed those fairly easily.

Dave Syvertson

re: I left front ones in

......but I did remove the rear floor panels as well as the baggage floors. I taped cardboard over the holes in the front corners, the access panels for the engine mount bolts, so as to keep from dropping anything into them.

Marshall Alexander
RV10 fuse/cabin top
N781DM

I removed the front floor pans and as you indicated the gear weldment bolts were chewed up some from getting them out so I am putting in new ones. I pulled the floors so I could put down the sound proofing and inspect the work but as you stated its alot of work and probably not worth the efforts.:rolleyes:

Back