What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Removing blind rivets

shiney

Well Known Member
is there a right and wrong way to remove blind rivets and which way is the best? I understand that they are more difficult to remove, any tips will be helpful.

cheers

Shiney

Nope...I think they're the easiest rivets to drill out. Sometimes they may tend to spin on you. If they do you can simply hold the 'shop head' with a pair of pliers. If you can't reach the back side, simply grab the manufactured head with the pliers and drill between them. Again, very easy and no problem at all.

removing blind rivets

Thanks Jamie, I thought that I'd read somewhere that they were difficult to take out, perhaps I didn't. I'm pretty good at removing all other rivets so now I've got confirmation I'll give it a go!

Agree with Jamie. CherryMax tend to be a little more difficult but still doable. The key is to punch out the mandrel with a small nail or something, and then drill out the rest of the rivet as you would any other. Just practice on one or two first. Good luck.

Very carefully

On Protruding Head Cherry-max

Tap a thin steel washer over the head, that juts fits around the outside of the head.

CAREFULLY, die grind the top of the head until the lock ring departs.

If structure is stiff enough, punch out the center and then drill off the head.

If the structure is flimsy carefully drill out the center while you push enough to drill or displace the center stem.

Its worked well for me, I hope it works for you.

Drilling out Pop Rivets

The one thing not mentioned that I found useful, if you have a bunch, it to put J B Weld on the edge the night before, that prevents the rivet from turning. On mine, the J B Weld gave out just about when the rivet came off, but on a few, I had to scratch off the stuff. Not a problem.

Back