What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Removing Black Tape Residue (Scotch 33) from Plexiglass Canopy

MartySantic

Well Known Member
What is the safest way to remove a bit of black tape residue from the plexiglass canopy. I used Scotch 33 and got a nice, crisp line, but, upon removal it left residue in a few spots.

Naptha

Naptha is safe on the canopy of other RV's. I had masking tape on my RV-6 canopy for 4 or 5 years were it dried out and was impossible to remove. Naptha worked great and was readily available at the local ACE hardware store.

Naptha is safe on the canopy of other RV's. I had masking tape on my RV-6 canopy for 4 or 5 years were it dried out and was impossible to remove. Naptha worked great and was readily available at the local ACE hardware store.
I did the same dumb thing on mine only 2 years ago and the masking tape isn't coming off happily. Should have used blue painters tape. I've used naptha on the canopy before with no ill effects (yet), and so that's what I'll probably use first, but I've also heard kerosene is the other OK chemical.

Mineral Spirts

Mineral Spirts, sometimes sold as paint thinner, is also safe on plastics and can be used to remove tape or label residue and bugs. Don't forget, when planning to use any of these solvents on plastics to, to test a small spot first where it won't show.

Naptha.....it also takes the oil off the underside before you wash it.

Did any of you folks contact the canopy people like Todd in FLA to see if naptha is safe to use and will clean off old masking tape adhesive without risk ? Seems like pretty strong chemical to be using on plexi. Bill

WD40 will take it off in about 2 seconds.. also Goo Gone, but it doesn't work as well as WD40.

We carry "Grafix Gone" on our web store. It specifically lists Plexiglas on the label as being safe to use on. Smells like citrus.

I used kerosene on my canopy, took off the sharpie, tape stuff and just about anything else. Give it a try.

Try this link www.eplastics.com/Plastics_Library and click on the Chemical Resistance button for some interesting information.

Larry

Van's supplier Airplane Plastics says:

In their instructions, they specifically say that:

"Grease, oil, or tape residue may be removed with kerosene, white gasoline, naptha, or 70% ISO Alcohol. Mineral spirits is our favorite"

I used the alcohol on electrical tape and it worked well as I remember it.

Thier number is 937-669-2677 if you want to get it from the horse's mouth :)

NOTHING like regular gasoline, acetone, lac thinner, nothing with amonia of any sort, ketones, aromatic solvents in general, etc.

Bill S
7a finishing

Back