What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Removal of wing bolts on A models

Beancounter

Well Known Member
I thought I would post what worked for me when removing wings spar bolts from an A model. Unfortunately I have removed the wings 4 times now due to 2 house moves, the move to the airport and then to the paint booth. Inevitably there are 1 or 2 bolts that do not come out easily. Perhaps they get pinched when the wing moves. The A model has a few bolts that cannot be driven out from the front of the spar due to the location of the gear weldment. First get yourself an air ratchet and a 6 point socket. Usually the air ratchet can get the bolt to back out so the head isnt touching the spar. If it wont back away from the spar I have used a lever to push it back from the threaded end while rotating with the air ratchet. Then I have used a mini woodworking pry bar like those used to remove baseboards and crown moldings to lever it back little bits at a time while slowly spinning it with the ratchet. When you run out travel on the pry bar, you will have to make spacers so you can continue. I made my spacers out of UMHF plastic but you could use a hardwood. The spacers are drilled to the diameter of the bolt shaft and then a section is cut out on the band saw to form a U that fits over the bolt shaft. Various sized spacers in 3/8" increments worked for me. Replacement of the bolt may be neccessary if the pry bar scores the bolt shaft or head. I hope this saves someone some frustration.

thanks

for the tip.

But I hope I don't have to do this anytime soon:D

Those bolts were hard enough to install.

Dave
-9A flying

After having installed my wings on the fuselage, I decided that if I had to remove the wings, I will buy a new kit. Much quicker.

Back