What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Removal of rust on steel

Saville

Well Known Member
I've had this steel front seat stick, for a while, and I'm just getting around to install. I noticed a little rust/corrosion at the bottom (see photos).
I don't think it compromises the integrity but I want to remove the rust, prime and paint.

My plan was to hit it with some Naval Jelly and then prime and paint.

Does anyone have a better idea?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_3104.jpg
    IMG_3104.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3105.jpg
    IMG_3105.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 10
You'll get a lot of opinions and options here.

First = Mechanical removal; Blast is first choice but wire brush at a minimum.
Second = Chemical removal/conversion. Naval Jelly or Ospho (or others). Both contain phosphoric acid which converts the iron oxide to iron phosphate - > less reactive. Even white vinegar will effectively dissolve rust but you need to remove the resulting salt.

You'll get a lot of opinions and options here.

First = Mechanical removal; Blast is first choice but wire brush at a minimum.
Second = Chemical removal/conversion. Naval Jelly or Ospho (or others). Both contain phosphoric acid which converts the iron oxide to iron phosphate - > less reactive. Even white vinegar will effectively dissolve rust but you need to remove the resulting salt.
Scotch-Brite....muscle....a few minutes.

S.

I used this when I painted the control sticks in my -4 almost 25 years ago. I remember only because I came across the container in the basement the other night. :)

https://www.amazon.com/POR-15-40204...8-2-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&th=1

I selected this over straight Naval jelly as POR-15 generates a stable, paint ready surface. Once you remove rust with Naval jelly, it must be painted immediately as the part will re-rust if there is even a little ambient humidity.

Back