What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Removable seat pans and luggage floor

JanRV6UK

Well Known Member
I am working on the seat pans and the luggage floor ? I am using #8 screws for both floors ? but at the bulkhead between the seat pan and the luggage floor it calls for LP4-3 pop rivets ? using #8 screws looks a bit over the top ?

I like the 2? spacing to keep it all nice and tight ? so my thoughts are to use NAS601 (6-32 screws) with nutplates.

What have other done here if making both the floor pans and the luggage floor removable ?

Hi Jan,

I haven't drilled my seat & baggage floors 'up' to #6 or #8 yet, but I have drilled pretty much all the holes - I will probably use #8 screws everywhere, but if you're planning to use 'structural' #6 screws, I'm pretty sure that would be more than adequate - possibly even the 'non-structural' #6's, but I probably wouldn't use those...

Chris
RV-6/A still in jig, upside-down, no rivets yet, but LOTS of holes drilled (including most interior sheet metal below the longerons.

Thanks Chris,

Sounds like we are at very similar stage - I have done some rivets on the fuselage. Right now I have drilled all the floor sections for #8 screws - I have not made my mind up yet regarding what size to go for at the joint - #6 or #8 . I suppose for removal it is better to go for a #8. Right now I have that line drilled #40 ... Getting on with a electric flap mechanism ....

Standardization

One advantage of using #8 screws is that all of your floor/seat mounting hardware will be identical...:)

I used countersunk #6 screws and nutplates for the baggage floor, and round head #6 screws and nutplates for the seat floor. It's all worked out well, but if you mount any electronics under the floor that you THINK you might need to get to later, it may be worth your time to make access panels. I have to get to the Digi-Trak aileron servo that's mounted under the left seat floor, and naturally I must remove about a zillion screws to take up ALL the panels just to get that one. I might just make an access door in it while I have it off.

Jim Bower
RV-6A N143DJ
Flying since 2011

Just curious - why would you want to make the seat pans and baggage floor removable? Mine are drilled for pop rivets, but not yet riveted.

Mark,

I am doing it mainly for two reasons - The ability to inspect or to get to the back side of the bottom skin if something ever get damaged - and - easy access to cable runs or possibly mounting equipment under the baggage floor ( access hatch is a good idea as suggested by Jim) ... Already drilled the holes Jim .. and they are all #8 :) .. So to keep it all the same, good point Gil, - the F605 holes will also be #8. Currently fiddling on with the flap centre support ..... already made one new support .. not happy with the hole location on the one supplied in the kit. The hole that should line up with the middle of the flange on F605 did not line up ... keep on making parts for the scrap bin :)

Last edited:
Back