What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Removable Map Box

John Tierney

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I just received my Map Box kit and was wondering if anyone had varied from the plans and made the map box removable through the front of the instrument panel. A lot of cars and trucks I've owned had removable glove boxes so that you could access things behind them.

It seems to me that if the map box could be slid out from the front of the panel it might allow easier access to the rear of the radio stack and items attached to the sub-panel. Just looking for lessons learned at this point. It will be a while before I get around to installing the map box.

9A slider - I made mine removeable for the same reason. Cut a rectangle from .032 approx one inch larger on each side, cut the middle to accept the box, and riveted the box to this home-made flange. One hole at each corner, dimpled for #6 screws, countersunk the panel and installed using #6 screws to attach to panel. My panel is painted flat black and this set up is not to noticeable. But removing the map box gives some nice access behind the panel.

9A slider - I made mine removeable for the same reason. Cut a rectangle from .032 approx one inch larger on each side, cut the middle to accept the box, and riveted the box to this home-made flange. One hole at each corner, dimpled for #6 screws, countersunk the panel and installed using #6 screws to attach to panel. My panel is painted flat black and this set up is not to noticeable. But removing the map box gives some nice access behind the panel.

Any photos of the install Rex?

My -9A tip up neighbor made his map box removable. He just made it a tight slip fit through the panel and sub-panel.
Open door. Remove contents. Insert arm. Make a fist. Pull out arm and box.
He hasn't flown yet so we don't know if the box will vibrate out from the panel or not.

I like the idea, however I would install an angle bracket from the subpanel alongside the map box so that the map box could be screwed from the inside of the box into nuplates attached to the bracket to hold the map box in place.

My -9A tip up neighbor made his map box removable. He just made it a tight slip fit through the panel and sub-panel.
Open door. Remove contents. Insert arm. Make a fist. Pull out arm and box.
He hasn't flown yet so we don't know if the box will vibrate out from the panel or not.

A little hard to see in picture, but I think you can see it well enough to get the idea.
sphvlj.jpg
[/IMG]

Maybe not the best panel around, but it gets the job done.

map box

I have to comment here....FWIW
the map box is ( nearly) useless to the seated pilot.
often when doing my walkaround I want to get a screw driver out, or put something in there, and it's tough to reach.
I'd love a 'drawer' that you can slide out, exposing all the contents, right to the back!( where the sic-sacs always slide!..just when you need'em!)
the 'door' could be the front of the drawer, with a handle, and a single camloc if you're concerned about it ending up in your lap!

I totally agree that removing it to access the rear of the instruments/radio stack would be very desireable!

Has anyone ever installed the Map Box in a non-standard position off the panel?
I was wondering about a location under the centre of the panel below the throttle, etc.
Would need to be removable to facilitate access during maintenance.
Not sure if it would impinge too much on knee room?
Installing it in "portrait" orientation might help with that.

removable map box in MFD slot

I had my panel cut for a 2nd display (AFD-3500) that I don't intend to install right away. I also had an adapter platecut that is the size of the AFD with the same hole pattern. The adapter plate mounts behind the panel and has the hole for the map box.

The map box attaches to the back of the adapter plate with countersunk screws. The only other odd thing is that you have to make the map box door removable.

To remove the whole thing from the completed plane.. this is how (I hope) it will work.
1) Remove map box door (pull hinge pins like seat bottoms)
2) Remove screws that hold map box to adapter plate. Push map box back about 2 inches.
3) Remove screws that hold adapter plate to panel
4) Swing bottom of adapter plate back and down, slide adapter plate out the bottom of the panel (note - keep this area clear of wires, etc.)
5) Pull map box out the big hole.

Here is a pic - hope this helps:
2qnw08h.jpg

Back