What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Remote Leno Jacks

gkochers

Friend
I plan to install headset jacks for pilot and copilot in the panel. I have an aerosport center console and plan to run the rear passenger jacks through the tunnel up into the back of the console. My plan was to provide standard mic and phone as well as Leno plugs. I will likely exclusively use the Lemos but wanted standard plugs too just to have them.

I’m considering now also running the Lemo plugs for the pilot and copilot to the center console and have the plugs within the storage box. There is really not enough room to put two full sets of standard jacks and lemos in there, so the regular plugs are staying on the panel.

So my question - typically I see Lemo jacks immediately adjacent to the HS jacks. My run from the panel HS jacks to the center console Lemo plugs might be about 8-10ft. Is the distance an issue if I’m using shielded wire? My understanding from other posts is that I would connect the Lemo shield to the HS shield and then ground to the audio panel backshell and leave the shield floating at the plug ends.

Alternatively, is it possible or preferred to just splice the Lemo plug to the Phone and Mic wires at the audio panel? It would be similar to a canbus splice and would significantly shorten the distance of the Lemo wires.

G3X Install

Thanks!

I plan to install headset jacks for pilot and copilot in the panel. I have an aerosport center console and plan to run the rear passenger jacks through the tunnel up into the back of the console. My plan was to provide standard mic and phone as well as Leno plugs. I will likely exclusively use the Lemos but wanted standard plugs too just to have them.

I’m considering now also running the Lemo plugs for the pilot and copilot to the center console and have the plugs within the storage box. There is really not enough room to put two full sets of standard jacks and lemos in there, so the regular plugs are staying on the panel.

So my question - typically I see Lemo jacks immediately adjacent to the HS jacks. My run from the panel HS jacks to the center console Lemo plugs might be about 8-10ft. Is the distance an issue if I’m using shielded wire? My understanding from other posts is that I would connect the Lemo shield to the HS shield and then ground to the audio panel backshell and leave the shield floating at the plug ends.

Alternatively, is it possible or preferred to just splice the Lemo plug to the Phone and Mic wires at the audio panel? It would be similar to a canbus splice and would significantly shorten the distance of the Lemo wires.

G3X Install

Thanks!
Others will advise on the wiring. I'm here to say ditch the standard jacks and just have a LEMO to standard adapter like this on hand. I haven't missed the standard jack and whenever someone wants to use a non LEMO headset, I hand them the adapter.

EDIT: Corrected link

Others will advise on the wiring. I'm here to say ditch the standard jacks and just have a LEMO to standard adapter like this on hand. I haven't missed the standard jack and whenever someone wants to use a non LEMO headset, I hand them the adapter.
It would be the opposite adapter that I’d need.

EDIT: Corrected link
agree. Lemo only here with an adapter in one of the setbacks just in case someone really wants to use their own headset. Has never happened tho.

Im not qualified to commment on the potential for ground loops and the like from duplication of the headset wiring over larger distances. But I will say that the fact there seems to be at least 3 different wiring diagrams that I’m aware of for treatment of conjoined lemo and GA setups - says that you’ll get varied opinions.
Another factor that led me to do lemo only.

I am going with both type of plugs. I use a Bose headset with Lemo but my wife currently uses an in ear headset with regular plugs. That being said there is enough room in the center console bucket to have both. That is what I am doing in the 10 I am building, even have USB power in there.

Attachments

• IMG_1187.jpeg
    IMG_1187.jpeg
    327.5 KB · Views: 37
LEMO here as well.

I converted both the RV-6 and the Monsun to LEMO at the same time and purchased two Lightspeed and two Bose headsets, the aim being to be able to compare them without bias. The aircraft no longer have the traditional MIC/PHONES jacks. You either use my headsets or you can use your fingers in your ears. So far nobody has chosen to use their fingers. If somebody REALLY wants to use their own headset, they can find themselves an adapter.

I just didn't see the point of carrying around a 12-pack of AA or AAA batteries all the time.

I am going with both type of plugs. I use a Bose headset with Lemo but my wife currently uses an in ear headset with regular plugs. That being said there is enough room in the center console bucket to have both. That is what I am doing in the 10 I am building, even have USB power in there.
Thank you for the photo. Looks like you did get it all to fit in the console. I think I will go that route.

Curious also how you routed through the tunnel. I was thinking route down through the tunnel then up through the tunnel cover within the center console and have a CPC connector to facilitate removal of the console. Between the rear pass headsets, pilot and copilot headsets and a USB port for the rear, I'll have quite a few wires.

Thank you for the photo. Looks like you did get it all to fit in the console. I think I will go that route.

Curious also how you routed through the tunnel. I was thinking route down through the tunnel then up through the tunnel cover within the center console and have a CPC connector to facilitate removal of the console. Between the rear pass headsets, pilot and copilot headsets and a USB port for the rear, I'll have quite a few wires.
I haven't finished building yet but I am going to run the wires on top of the tunnel because they will be covered by the center console. I have using a DB-25 connector to facilitate removal of the center console. I also installed the rear seat connectors on the back of the center console.

I created some drill guide models to 3d print. I can find them if you are interested and have a 3d printer.

I haven't finished building yet but I am going to run the wires on top of the tunnel because they will be covered by the center console. I have using a DB-25 connector to facilitate removal of the center console. I also installed the rear seat connectors on the back of the center console.

I created some drill guide models to 3d print. I can find them if you are interested and have a 3d printer.
I did the same thing.
These are the only photos that I can find. But you get the idea.
There’s no question that having a center console sit on top of the tunnel makes it difficult to access for maintenance. However I’ve had it off at each annual twice now and it’s not that big a deal.

Attachments

• IMG_3872.jpeg
    IMG_3872.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 18
  • AC1B16B4-7003-44BF-BF61-BF385F8BF6B0.jpeg
    AC1B16B4-7003-44BF-BF61-BF385F8BF6B0.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 18
Back