What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Remote Compass Location

lr172

Well Known Member
I'm looking for some insight on where to mount a remote compass (Dynon D100) on an RV-6/7? The harness that I purchased is only long enough to place it forward of the spar, but was worried that it may perform better in the rear.

I am curious where others have placed it for reliable operation.

Thanks,

Larry

It may be the harness that came with it is only long enough to go forward of the spar. The original harness is 25' long I believe. You can order one from Dynon. They are not expensive. The best location I have seen uses a shelf off the upper longerons aft of the baggage. Just keep it 2' away from the pitch servo. The upper longeron shelf does this.

Try the advanced search function. There are a LOT of prior threads and pictures on this topic.

Put mine in the center of the fuselage on the next bulkhead aft of the baggage bulkhead. Piece of angle Al with small wedge to keep it perpendicular to the panel.

Greg

I put a shelf just before the final upper bulkhead in the enclosed section of the fuselage. It spans from the left to right and attached to the longerons. It wants to have stability under g forces and so I used .032 and bent a lip on the shelf on the forward side. The rear side was riveted with the upper bulkhead. It is easily reachable from the rear through the holes in the bulkhead and I can remove the unit through the holes when the tail fairing is removed.
There is nothing to interfere magnetically if you keep the shelf and attachments of brass or aluminum. The Dynon cables were long enough.

Put ours on the deck just forward of the vertical tail under the fiberglass top. Ran the oat sensor under the left horizontal then ran the buss wires forward.

Back