What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Remaining holes in wing top skin?

Paul the Overlord

Well Known Member
Hello,

When you flipped your wing back over to nutplate the inspection hole did you have any open holes in your top wing skins? The plans tell you what not to rivet, but I am bit unclear when the rivet the holes omitted previously are filled. There are some holes in the leading outboard edge and a hole over the tie AEX tie down, but what about the rest (all the big skins)? Thanks.

paul

holes to fill

Been a long time since I finished the wings, but I would say the only ones left S/B the ones on the end for the tip finishing section. Maybe go back and read; sometimes they say to rivet all except noted holes. May have missed one instruction. I think they all should be filled by then.

John Bender
Iowa

aex tie down

I think the #20 hole over the top AEX tie down is so the hole can later be expanded with a unibit. Remember, you threaded 3/8-16 the top. I think that is for Vans special trailer.

I'm at the same point you are. The plans are a bit cryptic, but on page 17-04 step 4 it says to rivet the remaining skins only leaving open the outboard holes depicted in figure 3. I take this to mean all other holes are to be riveted. I still wonder why we tapped the upper AEX tiedown, and what we do with the 1/8 hole in the skin over it?

I asked the same question when I got to that point. Leave the hole above the AEX tiedown open and unchanged. That is the advice I got to ensure we build the aircraft EXACTLY in accordance with the plans. All is documented in my blog.

Hole over AEX Tie down

The hole is obvious, and can be found again. I followed the instructions - put a rivet in ALL holes not marked "leave open". That hole is not specifically called out to leave open ( at least on my page ). If unfilled, I am sure most viewers will ask why it was not filled. Thats my story !

John Bender
Iowa

Thanks!

That's what I thought, I guess I'm a bit gun-shy on over riveting, for example... the outboard most skin only calls for the leading edge holes to be left open. That made me a bit nervous.

paul

Back