What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Registration problem

CJT

I purchased partially completed project, have bill of sale, copy was submitted to FAA / Vans by seller
as per EAA guideline, asked Vans to send me bill of sale for kit, which I received promptly,( not bill of sale from seller) submitted along with 8050-1, motorized 8050-88, $5 check
prompt came reply from FAA, stating there were two previous transactions, get their signatures
I am at loss. Tried calling FAA registration branch, as usual…. we are busy, visit website, send email……
did that today
Also uploaded bill of sale from current seller to me, the link to sign doesn’t move forward
waiting for reply
Question : should I submit bill of sale given to me by seller?
Thanks in advance
CJ

Attachments

• Letter from FAA February 24.jpg
    Letter from FAA February 24.jpg
    278.7 KB · Views: 73
I purchased partially completed project, have bill of sale, copy was submitted to FAA / Vans by seller
as per EAA guideline, asked Vans to send me bill of sale for kit, which I received promptly,( not bill of sale from seller) submitted along with 8050-1, motorized 8050-88, $5 check
prompt came reply from FAA, stating there were two previous transactions, get their signatures
I am at loss. Tried calling FAA registration branch, as usual…. we are busy, visit website, send email……
did that today
Also uploaded bill of sale from current seller to me, the link to sign doesn’t move forward
waiting for reply
Question : should I submit bill of sale given to me by seller?
Thanks in advance
CJ
yes...you need to submit all "bill(s) of sales to show chain of custody for the kit.

Whwn I bought my flying RV, 4th owner, I needed to provide proof of the transfer from owner 2 to 3. As jradtke noted the FAA cares about the chain of custody.

Oh, FAA already has those as per their letter
i will try calling to sort out

Not that it helps now, but I think that the reason this is getting hung up is likely because the FAA got involved in the process so early on.

I bought wings from somebody who had stalled on their build. Got a bill of sale from the seller, submitted it to Vans and they transferred the builder number to me. I ordered all the subsequent kits from vans with that same build number. I don't know what Vans was required to do on their end, but I know I certainly didn't contact the FAA at that point.

When it was time for getting a registration assigned, I got a bill of sale from vans and that was submitted to the FAA with the rest of the packet. That was the first time the FAA got anything from anybody.

My registration went through no problem.

FYI- I know it doesn't help the original poster, but in case anyone else who's considering buying used kits runs across this thread in the future, Vans has a great document on their web site that lays out how this is supposed to work, it's in the Tech Q&A section and is called "Buying a second hand RV kit"

Last edited:
TO ALL WHO BUY PARTIALLY COMPLETED KIT
BE AWARE, AT THE TIME OF REGISTRATION, FAA WANTS TO CHAIN OF SALE FROM BUILDER A TO Z
THERFORE CHECK WITH FAA IF ANY LINK IS MISSING. IF I DOES, THE ONUS THEN WOULD BE ON YOU TO COMPLETE THE CHAIN OF OWNERSHIP, WHICH COULD BE CHALLANGING IF THERE IS BIG TIME GAP

CJ

Back