What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

? Regarding Certification

Phantom30

Well Known Member
I read that an RV-12 built as per EAB must have various phase fly off hours before passenger can be carried. What are the rules if built as LSA? Have looked on forum...but can not find..

Not too sure if this is answering your question completely or not, but before passengers:

E-LSA (built exactly like the plans dictate)= 5-hour test period
E-AB (even if still meeting the qualifications of a Light Sport Aircraft)= 40-hour test period.

I'm not at the stage of flying yet, but I believe Van's issues many different 'test cards' that are used to calculate data, verify specific parameters of your plane, etc.

Last edited:
If you are building EAB.... There is a 40 hr fly off period. ELSA is generally 5. With going Elsa vans provides ALL the testing documentation you need. Are you using a different engine? Avionics? If you do not order all kits thru vans then you will not get the test documentation from vans (since you did not follow the plans for ELSA cert ). That's the gotcha with going EAB. Not a bad thing per se, just more work and planning on your end.

E-LSA (built exactly like the plans dictate)= 5-hour test period
E-AB (even if still meeting the qualifications of a Light Sport Aircraft)= 40-hour test period.

To further clarify, if built E-LSA a MINIMUM of 5 hours is required. The actual number of hours is specified by your DAR and is listed in the operating limitations that you will receive. He has the power to require whatever he deems necessary.

As a part of the program letter submitted to the DAR prior to the inspection, suggest a test period length.

To further clarify, if built E-LSA a MINIMUM of 5 hours is required. The actual number of hours is specified by your DAR and is listed in the operating limitations that you will receive. He has the power to require whatever he deems necessary.

As a part of the program letter submitted to the DAR prior to the inspection, suggest a test period length.

Absolutely what Marty said ^^^^^^^^.

Your DAR is THE person who will give you the definitive answer. My reply in post #2 was the general rule of thumb. But Marty is right. This could vary.

Flight Test fly-off hours

There may be a misconception that all that is required for ELSA is to just go up and fly around for 5 hours. Not so, you would be perjuring yourself to sign off the hours without meeting the intent of the Operating Limitations. The 5 hour fly off period is a bit misleading. The Operating Limitations which are a part of the aircraft Airworthiness Certificate require that you make a statement in the logbook to the effect that the aircraft is safe to operate in all of it?s configurations and conditions. The 5 flight test cards furnished with the RV-12 are an organized way to accomplish this testing. I think it is fair to say that to get all these flight tests completed in only 5 hours would take a sierra hotel test pilot. Accelerated 75% power stalls in a 30? bank, holy smoke, I had never done some of these maneuvers in my flying career. I needed 15 flight hours to go through the test cards initially and even then felt like I needed to go back over some of the maneuvers to clean up things like prop adjustment. A great benefit is that the new RV-12 pilot will develop a lot of skill in flying the 12 by doing the test cards.
The test cards will require good pre-flight planning and preparation, likely a lot more than 5 flight hours and some careful airmanship to accomplish. A lot of data logging is required while doing some of the tests. Dynon made this easy with the built in data logging in the D-180 software. For instance all of the climb performance data, time, pressure altitude, OAT and density altitude information could be identified in the data logs and transcribed into the applicable test card. I understand that SkyView also has this capability.

Flying the test cards is a serious learning experience but it great fun also. After 2 1/2 years of flying my 12 I think I will re-fly some of the cards as recurrent training ;)

Tony

Thanks for the replies.....What I was looking for.. After much searching etc., I believe I'll build e-lsa version with minor add-on options following certification i.e. second landing light for wig/wag and cooling louvers for oil/coolent temp control.:D

Data Logging

Skyview doesn't have data logging (readily accessible to the user) currently - BUT - the good news is, Firmware 5.1, due for release imminently, will add that capability.

Bob Bogash
sierra hotel test pilot of
N737G

Can't send an attachment through VAF e-mail.
Send me your e-mail address and I will send you a copy of the program letter that I use.
Send to n168tx(at)flytx.net

Back