What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Reflections on an RV8 Build

kens_cockpit

Well Known Member
Benefactor
About 3 years ago I decided my 21 year old RV8 "quickbuild" would fly. The painting is now almost complete and it is approaching the move to the airport for assembly.

One of my friends who has been helping me with the final push is Cameron Rogers. As well as being a flight instructor with a Ph.D in group theory, he is a poet. I thought his poem might be of interest on this forum.

The first two lines need some explanation. They come from a plaque in the garage where I have been building. The plaque is shown in the photo. My wife bought me the plaque. My father-in-law added the annotation when I became a judge so it has its own delightful ambiguity. Anyway - here is the poem.

Here a pilot and a normal person
Live - but then you ask, "who will be the judge?"
I say, if I leave it will it worsen?
Must I fix it? That blasted nut won't budge!

A. N. Four two six, A. D. Three dash four
Wait.... Too short. Make that three dash four point five,
Buck up! Squeeze...push...past the pain, squeeze, push, more!
One less birth pain before it flies, alive.

It is much more, and less, than riveting.
(Am I, countersunk, a complete nut-plate?)
Yet God, that craftsman, master, set on wing
These wings, and holds this feeble thing, innate.

I thought to build this plane - instead I see
That this petulant craft is building me.
-Cameron Rogers 2024

Attachments

• Plaque.jpg
    Plaque.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 203
Ken, if it's ANY consolation or motivation, I finished and flew my 22-year RV-8 project in June of this year. It was in my hangar and in my mind so much for two decades that it sometimes still feels odd to think of it as a real-life flying airplane instead of "that big aluminum thing with tables full of tools around it."

The joy I received by taking it to Oshkosh 2024, sharing it with other builders who are at the same stage of their builds that I once was, and getting an award from EAA, made all the time and effort worth it.

I look forward to seeing the results of all your hard work. Cheers.

Back