What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Redel 6-pin headset jack adaptors

JackinMichigan

Well Known Member
We're in the process of spec'ing out the panel hardware and a question came up: Apparently the new Bose (and others) style noise cancelling headsets use a special 6-pin Redel connector as opposed to the old-style dual headphone jacks. That way you can power the headset right off the airplane as opposed to needing a battery pack. We want this in our plane, but we also want to be able to use our old standard headsets if we want to.

I've found adaptors galore that will adapt a Bose headset to an older 2-jack airplane, but nothing that will adapt an older headset to a Redel connector. Can someone recommend something?

They are usually refer to as LEMO plugs/ports. You can choose to wire up both the LEMO and the older dual-jack style side-by-side. For people who want the flexibility it's only a couple of extra dollars and a little time to wire both up. You could also go with just LEMO plugs and not worry about the dual jacks which is what I did. I have headsets for all 4 seats so theres never a need about "accomodating" someone's older dual style headset. Also note that BOSE and others make their ANR headsets with both LEMO and dual-jack styles, so you dont have to go LEMO if you dont want to. But makes the hassle of dealing with batteries a non-issue.

Here is what you were asking about adapter wise: http://www.bose.com/controller?url=...sets/accessories/a20_adapter_acc.jsp&color=bl

a20_adapter_acc_bl_lg.jpg

Last edited:
The headset comes in both options. I originally planned to use the LEMO plugs and power the ANR from the aircraft. I then decided it was an unnecessary complication and went with the standard GA plugs. The batteries in the headset last forever........ Also, I can use my headset in a different aircraft.

As has been mentioned, an adaptor is available in any case.

My preferred option us to wire both the LEMO jack and the dual GA jacks for at least the front seats. If you plan to provide 4 LEMO headsets, then doing the same in the back is a good idea too. Some people have a headset that they prefer to use instead of using on of yours, so whether dual GA or LEMO, they can keep theirs with them. Personally, if I am flying a plane with Bose headsets, especially the Bose X, I take my personal Zulu with me to use.

Another reason is that I have has a couple of LEMO jacks break, so having the dual GA plugs as a backup works great.

My overall recommendation is to wire all 4 seats with both types and buy 2 LEMO headsets and 2 GA style with batteries. That way, the back seats will use the batteries (which are used less often), and if your LEMO jack breaks, you can grab a rear seat headset and use it up front.

My preferred option us to wire both the LEMO jack and the dual GA jacks for at least the front seats. If you plan to provide 4 LEMO headsets, then doing the same in the back is a good idea too. Some people have a headset that they prefer to use instead of using on of yours, so whether dual GA or LEMO, they can keep theirs with them. Personally, if I am flying a plane with Bose headsets, especially the Bose X, I take my personal Zulu with me to use.

Another reason is that I have has a couple of LEMO jacks break, so having the dual GA plugs as a backup works great.

My overall recommendation is to wire all 4 seats with both types and buy 2 LEMO headsets and 2 GA style with batteries. That way, the back seats will use the batteries (which are used less often), and if your LEMO jack breaks, you can grab a rear seat headset and use it up front.

I did the same as Jesse. Works great!

2 Lemo and 2 standard sets of jacks in the Aerosport Products arm rest and another pair of both types on the back of the arm rest for the rear seat. Everyone is welcome to use mine or theirs. I don't care. It only added about $20 to the build to add the standard jacks in addition to the Lemo plugs. Easy to install.

bob

Last edited:
Ditto

My preferred option us to wire both the LEMO jack and the dual GA jacks for at least the front seats.

Ditto. 2 LEMO jacks up front with 2 standard jacks for backup all built into the Aerosport arm rest. Rear seat passengers have standard jacks. If something goes south with the LEMOs, I can reach back and plug a standard headset into my backup jacks up front. Only downside is that rear seat passengers can't use their own/favorite LEMO headset but I'm ok with that compromise.

D

Back