What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Red Cube installation

DeweyW

I'm New Here
I just bought my Red Cube and need advice on installation, etc. I have a RV-7 with IO-360 fuel injection. Would like to place it between the fuel injector and the spider at the top. I would appreciate any help

Do a Serch

If you'll search the Forum with "red cube", you'll find a wealth of info on this. But similar to topics regarding primers, and tip-up vs. sliders, opinions vary as to what is best. Most of the suppliers will tell you that accuracy is best between the fuel servo and the spider, but many builders opt to mount the red cube aft of the firewall. This gets it away from much of the vibration and heat.

Personally, I wasn't worried about the fraction of a gallon that it might be off at the end of a long flight, so mine is mounted on the firewall, just under the heater cover (RV-7). There were some reasons for that and that's just what I did...I'm not an advocate for one location over another.

Anyway, after your search, you'll find quite a few threads that you can use to form your own opinion.

Likewise, mine has been installed in the "tunnel" between the electric fuel pump and mechanical fuel pump. The accuracy has been consistently within 0.2 to 0.3g for each fill up and that is more accuracy then I had hope for. This location is by far the best place I could find for it, regarding vibration, heat and within the safe practices of installation.

I have been very happy with the "behind the firewall" location on both my RV-8 and Lousie's RV-6. Yes, when you flip on the electric boost pump, the fuel flow is biased high by 1.0 - 1.5 gph....which seems like a lot, but if you are only running it for a couple of minutes, it doesn't make much difference in the fuel totalizer values - and the "error" in fuel remaining is in a "good" direction (tells you that you have less than you really do).

That said, I recently mounted the red cube between the Fuel Servo and Spider on our RV-3 project, mostly because I simply could not find room behind the firewall on the tiny RV-3 without adding a considerable spaghetti-nest of fuel lines, more turns, etc. There was also essentially no good way to add it between the firewall and the mechanical fuel pump in the space available, so we mounted it in front of the oil sump, above the Servo - after consulting with the engine manufacturer and the makers of the Red Cube (EI). It's a neat installation, and I know of several airplanes that have quite a few hundred hours with the "cube" mounted to the sump bolts - but I don't think it would work as well with a cross-over exhaust (we have a four-pipe on the -3).

Walt's reference document is excellent BTW!

Paul

I read all the specs, thought about it, read a bunch of builders sites and this is what I came up with.
I put a doubler on the back side, made a bracket out of alum scrap and it works great. I did put an additional fire sleeve over the fire sleeved fuel line and a heat shield..that should be tripple safe. Sorry for crummy pic, best I can find quickly.

15natyu.jpg

put it there

I recently installed the red cube. Called EI and they suggested on top of the engine before the spider. Keep the runs in and out straight. Don't worry about vibration and if the runs are straight, don't worry about heat (fuel vaporization). The bracket that the spider is built on can be replicated or purchased from lycoming and the cube mounts on it without needing to drill any holes. If you have a plenum - a al sam james - then you can lower both the spider and the red cube by drilling a few holes for the mounting bolts and everything is happy. If you want pictures, send me a note and when I get back, I will take some.

Just installed

I'll take a photo of the cube w/ hoses attached and post it later.

redcube.jpg

red cube

Thank you, man! That looks great and just what I have been thinking about doing. I am on vacation in N.C. and will get back with you when I get home. You can e-mail me with anything else at [email protected]. Where to get new lines made, etc.

Back