What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Recommended Tool Kits

ndcampbell

I'm New Here
A ?8 fast build ordered and empennage kit on the way and I need to ordering tools. The various tool suppliers offer their version of the ?Recommended RV Builder Tool Box?. I know that this is a loaded question?. any recommendation on a supplier and what kit? Thanks?

Tool Vendors

I did a "mix and match" kit. I bought the majority of my tools from Cleaveland (www.cleavelandtoolstore.com), but deleted items I already owned and added other tools from Brown (www.browntool.com), Isham (www.planetools.com), and Avery that were on sale during Oshkosh.

The biggest difference between kits is the type of squeezer included (hand or pneumatic) and whether or not the yokes are interchangeable. I liked the Cleaveland "Main Squeeze" design and bought it with their kit, but I also picked up a pneumatic squeezer and air drill on sale from Brown. Other differences include the hand tools (fluting pliers, hand seamer, snips, etc.) included. All will get the job done, but look at the details and you may have a preference.

I also don't think you can go wrong with the Avery hand squeezer. Personal preference-I liked the cam action of the Cleaveland "Main Squeeze." I wouldn't buy an 'economy' squeezer...you'll use this tool a lot!

Both Avery and Cleaveland make many of their own products, have experience building RVs, etc. This makes a real difference in their approach to customer service.

Isham includes the DRT-2 dimpler and a pneumatic squeezer with their kit. I highly recommend the pneumatic squeezer if you can afford it.

I don't have any experience with the DRT-2 dimpler so can't comment. Having said that, I haven't had any problem dimpling with my C-frame and hand squeezer on my empennage.

I've had great service from all four companies, with short delivery times using UPS/FEDEX and immediate answers to my questions.

Bottom line: compare the kits and go with quality tools from a quality vendor.

Good hunting,
Mike

Avery tools :) Excellent service and excellent shipment, even all the way to my home. Haven't used any tools from any other supplier, so I really have nothing to compare with. My Tech Counsellor tried my rivet gun, and said it felt better than his, even though his cost 5 times more. All in all they seem like good quality tools.

But, those kits, even so called "complete toolkits" like the one I purchased, lacks alot of essentials. Files for instance, compressor, saw, clamps etc etc. The one thing I didn't like was the Soix? pneumatic drill. So far I have not used it, my 12V battery drill is much more practical, and much better feel of the trigger, and the Soix? drill has this old fashion choke which alone is enough not to use it.

Edit: I have used the sioux? drill now, and also the angle drill. Without those it would be close to impossible to drill the holes for the hinge brackets on the HS.

Last edited:
I got mine from Plane Tools (Isham) and Brown Tools, with a few addons from The Yard Store. Maybe not so much for a fast build kit, but for a slow build kit I highly recommend a pneumatic sequeezer and DRDT-2 dimpler. You will forget the added cost after a week of using them (plus you could sell them later to recoup some of the investment) The tungsten bucking bars are really nice ,too.

I have found that I also needed to get a dozen 3/16" clecos (maybe not needed for a fast build), extra drill bits, extra set of deburring bits (the fiberglass can really eat up those bits when you start working on the glass parts), a plexiglass drill bit, and a few other things you will figure out later and which I have now forgotten. The main things is to get the basic tools and go from there. I doubt that anyone has ever NOT had to buy additional tools as their project commenced, so don't think you have to get everything you will need from the start.

Remember that you can get the suppliers to delete what you don't want, so compare the kits and then pick and chose to get the best price.

Use Isham's Plane tools

I am in the final stage before flying a "quick build" RV 9A that I built with the tool kit I bought from Isham's Plane Tools. I liked the pneumatic squeezer but also bought the Main Squeeze from Cleaveland and used both. I bought the right angle drill as an extra from Isham and have used it extensively! The only thing that I didn't like was the pneumatic drill. I could never "feather" it. I bought an el cheapo small 1/4" air drill from Harbor Freight and love it and it has an extension on the trigger that makes it easy to feather. I have the "D2R2" or what ever and find that it works great but there is very little dimpling of skins on the quick build so I might have been ok with the other dimpler. I have not use it so I can't say for sure.

Wal-Mart or Target?

Notice that this topic is filed in the "Never Ending Debate Section"!

I doubt you will get a majority of people in this forum to agree on any Vendor and frankly that is a good thing. Good for the vendors that is. It means that they are all doing a pretty good job (product quality, offerings, price and customer service).

Personnaly I've bought from many of them and prefer Avery. There are many reasons...customer service being one of them but I like their packaging. Their drill bits, countersinks and dies come in these little tubes with printed labels on them. This makes it very easy to find what you are looking for. You will end up with so many tools that it becomes very difficult to keep track of them. I have a seperate tool box just for aviation tools and it still can be overwhelming.

I wouldn't be as concerned about the vendor but more about what you buy.

Several people have eluded to the pneumatic squeezer and the DRDT-2 dimpler. I can honestly say I really don't like using the C-Frame to dimple and it's a lot easier to squeeze a trigger than a AN470 rivet. Please note that I didn't buy either one of these tools because I am a cheapskate. I've been regretting that decision ever since. I pulled an 11.5 hour building session yesterday and my hands and forearms are crying today. Partly why I'm on the forum and not working on the project.

I started with the Bare Bones kit and I just buy a few new tools every month (I usually buy 50 to 100 extra Clecos with every order to get ready for the Wings and Fuselage). I just bought a 4" Yoke and really wish I would have bought the 4" No Hole Yoke instead. When you get to the smaller pieces with tight trailing edge ribs, this little guy would come in handy. There are also a few spots where the extra 1" in length would help too.

Things I really like and couldn't live without:
- 3/32" Pop Rivet Dimpler (You can spread the skins apart on the Elevators but it really stresses the metal...I preferred just using this tool.).
- Scotch Brite Wheel (I failed cutting on the dotted line in kindergarten so I cut it close and grind down to the line...when you start building stiffeners, you'll know what I'm talking about).
- 4" No Hole Yoke (I wish would have purchased this...It's on my Christmas List).

Some Pictures of Avery's Packaging:
y1p110JsQz9CfRczDszCB4eJtqXbTsaZ3zLa23HtAkWrHNTbUTL3InBb4TsMb9P3xo_pyozmnKwRmvBNzc18HV34A

Drill Bits in Tubes with Labels

y1p110JsQz9CfSbRZCamgwIePJFgMDBspAWI9-FIdaj_GVopU2ihncs5N8yS8v_oFFyd_Mohpztcw-XKnFl3OYnHA

Dimple Dies in Tubes with Labels

y1p110JsQz9CfQKDSEL3ijjdRa89nG-BqpTxLhzsJrN8FHksHJHx6upjSdjqIR4j22CNvaijENZNIWeoMvwZFaGgg

3/32" Pop Rivet Dimpler for Trailing Edges and Hard to Reach Areas.

Hope this helps. Good Luck!

Last edited:
Back