What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Recommendation for a modest-priced DSLR camera

Jaknjoan

Well Known Member
What is the recommendation of forum members as far as a digital single lens reflex camera for good quality aerial photos. I'm not talking commercial value but for home use and sharing with others. I know the price can get astronomical, but I'm thinking in the range of $600 or so, with a lens.

Any useful suggestions will be appreciated.

Jake Thiessen
Independence, OR

Either Canon or Nikon. Both are great. If you already have lenses, chose that camera. Canon has the edge on inside and sports photos, Nikon for landscape and portraits. Both will do more than most of us will ever need. I would stay away from any but those two.

Find a nice used Nikon D40. The absolute best bang for the buck in digital SLR. Use the money you'll save over buying a new camera to get some good quality lenses.

See Ken Rockwell

I have a Canon DSLR and a couple of thousand dollars in high end lenses. Good stuff.

But for most everyone who asks, I recommend a high end point and shoot (P&S). You get 99% of the capabilities of the DSLR setup at 25% of the cost it would take to equip yourself with a quality DSLR system. I've had several friends thank me years later for pushing them to a high end P&S as opposed to a DSLR.

Another benefit of the P&S is that you don't have to schlep around a camera bag that contains a bunch of lenses and identifies you as a possible distracted tourist (when you're changing lenses) to any pickpocket or other miscreant in the area.

Since I'm a Canon guy, here's my choice, but Nikon, Sony, and others make very similar products.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/889965-REG/Canon_PowerShot_SX50HS_Digital_Camera.html

I wound up with a Sony A230 that I'm very happy with. Older camera - very reasonable cost for what it can do.

Dan

Look for good used in any of the consumer grade Canon (XS, T2i, T3i and up) or Nikon D3100-3300, D5100-5300 will do just fine in good light, even with some of the kit zooms lens at medium focal lengths and F stops.

Buy better glass if you want sharper but if you are shooting through a canopy, probably not necessary. If you can afford in Canon, the 24-105 F4 IS USM gives great range for this sort of work and is pretty sharp.

If you want to buy new, both Canon and Nikon usually have some pretty screaming deals on the their entry level DSLRs at any time with kit lens. For Canon, the 55-250 kit lens can work well for loose formation work shooting at 75-200mm and mid F stops. You can get the whole combination new (say T3i, 2 lens for around $700 if you shop around). This is just representative, no affiliation- http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Canon-E...272229?pt=Digital_Cameras&hash=item4180f2d565

Similar deals exist in the Nikon world. Most of these cameras can capture very fine detail with good glass so any of the bodies mentioned above would work for your purposes, the lens is more important if you have more money to spend.

Last edited:
Reviews

Either Canon or Nikon. Both are great. If you already have lenses, chose that camera. Canon has the edge on inside and sports photos, Nikon for landscape and portraits. Both will do more than most of us will ever need. I would stay away from any but those two.

+1
There are so many good choices it almost comes down to personal preference. In the photography world, Nikon vs Canon is our equivalent to "primer wars".
Personally I prefer Nikon and currently my body is a D7000. I've used Nikon since high school and through my college photojournalism degree. I've also used tons of others from 4x4, 6x6, 6x7 but a Nikon was always by my side.
I suggest narrowing your search a bit then reading up. This is an excellent site.
http://m.dpreview.com/
Then go out and buy a Nikon! :D

One advantage with the DSLR over a point and shoot is when you push the button, you get an instant picture. No waiting. In fact if can shoot about 6-10 pictures per second if you want. The sensor on the DSLR is larger than on the point and shoot. What that means is if you have a DSLR and P&S with the same DPI, you the larger sensor on the DSLR will give you a larger file allowing you to zoom in by cropping.

Though your original post was what DSLR was a good choice, it may not be for shots from an airplane. The disadvantage is it is larger, heavier, you need more lenses to get much of the advantage, and may be more trouble than it is worth in an airplane.

If you are spending time and effort to make sure you have a light airplane, adding a pound or two for a camera may not make sense. You will get great photos with about any camera out there. If you want to experiment with settings, speed, and lenses, the DSLR is the way to go. Quick and easy - the P&S.

One advantage with the DSLR over a point and shoot is when you push the button, you get an instant picture. No waiting. In fact if can shoot about 6-10 pictures per second if you want. The sensor on the DSLR is larger than on the point and shoot. What that means is if you have a DSLR and P&S with the same DPI, you the larger sensor on the DSLR will give you a larger file allowing you to zoom in by cropping.

Though your original post was what DSLR was a good choice, it may not be for shots from an airplane. The disadvantage is it is larger, heavier, you need more lenses to get much of the advantage, and may be more trouble than it is worth in an airplane.

If you are spending time and effort to make sure you have a light airplane, adding a pound or two for a camera may not make sense. You will get great photos with about any camera out there. If you want to experiment with settings, speed, and lenses, the DSLR is the way to go. Quick and easy - the P&S.

I agree with almost everything here. The biggest drawback to the P&S is the slow response time.

IF..you shoot auto with any of them you will get stopped props with super sharp photo's looks really bad to aviation folks.

I'm a big fan of Canon, but like everyone said, they and Nikon are great. I've always had Canon glass so it was a no brainer for me.

The big thing is, once you get the camera, learn how to shoot in different modes and you'll get great photo's. You will need to learn how to use slower shutter speeds to get prop blur and make them look real.

The lenses are the key. The are expensive but you get what you pay for and you can use them on and on if you stay with the same brand. For air to air, you don't really need a long lens. for airshows and such, 300-400 mm zooms rock.

Thanks for all the helpful input on cameras

I will digest all the information you have so generously provided and maybe bring down my sights to a high end point and shoot.

My last point and shoot camera got away from me on April 1/14 somewhere on the grounds of Sun 'N Fun in Lakeland, FL.

I've been in the RV world since 1984 and the wealth of information one can come up with in a few hours through Doug's forums in recent years is priceless.

Thank you all.

Jake

+1 to Walt's recommendation!

Bought this one for the wife for Xmas and she loves it, it takes great pictures and from the research I did (exhausting) it was tops in every catagory in the P&S market.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/984408-REG/sony_dsc_rx100m2_b_cyber_shot_dsc_rx100m2_digital_camera.html

I don't own this camera but one of my friends does.
The air to air shots he takes are awesome.

I've tried to use my DSLR in the cockpit. It's just too cumbersome.

Mark

Good advice. I always had Canon and always wanted a Nikon. I now have a Nikon dSLR and love it.

You will not go wrong with either a Canon or a Nikon. Buy what you like.

I used Ken Rockwell's web site to search for the Nikon that was best for me. I did also get the lens he called a Primadonna lens or maybe should say he did when I purchased it a few years ago.

I see a lot of replys that follow this one. This could be another nose wheel / tail wheel thread. Hope the above web link gets some review that you can use or at least thinking about what will be best for you and your mission.

Lenses

The lenses are the key. The are expensive but you get what you pay for and you can use them on and on if you stay with the same brand. For air to air, you don't really need a long lens. for airshows and such, 300-400 mm zooms rock.

There's some good advise.
If you're going to spend, spend it on quality glass. Best glass is from the big guns. Stick with Nikon and Canon if you buy one of their DSLR bodies. I've heard people who buy a nice body then stick crappy glass on the front and complain about the poor image quality of the camera.

You can also rent some serious glass.

Don't drink the kool-aid !

Having been an old Minolta shooter, I had mixed emotions when Sony purchased the brand but ended up purchasing Sonys first offering, the A100 and I have not looked back since.

The older Minolta lens from the 80's and made in Japan produce some of the best colors directly out of the camera....modern Sony versions are not up to the same quality.

I now own the A100, A580 and the A77 and would not paid more money just for a brand name who spend a fortune on their advertising budget

A good man once said the secret to good photograph was 1st, the person, second the lens and lastly the camera body.

No regrets.

Canon G15

I took the Canon G11 to Europe and was most impressed. It is one step below a DSLR but cant bet the pictures. Colors are good and resolution is excellent. If you must go with a DSLR with removal lens, then I would go one up from the canon T4i. I bought a T4i as a replacement for the G11 , but the T4i has the tripod screw into the plastic case, the next step up has the tripod screw into the internal frame. I do a lot of monopod shooting, so I am pulling the case apart on the T4i.

The G11 is part of the Canon G10 series, I think the latest version is the G15. Best camera for the bucks in my opinion.

Although Canon and Nikon have the lion's share of the highly saturated DSLR market ranging from relatively cheap to very expensive, it would be very difficult to prise a Pentax user's DSLR out of his hands. :)

Just bought a Sony A77. Shoots nice pictures and videos. Can't really recommend it yet as I am still getting use to it.

Just bought a Sony A77. Shoots nice pictures and videos. Can't really recommend it yet as I am still getting use to it.

Sony cameras are very under rated.

I remember having a discussion with a Nikon owner in work about how superior his sensor was to Sonys, guess who made it for Nikon !!!

Sony cameras are very under rated.

I remember having a discussion with a Nikon owner in work about how superior his sensor was to Sonys, guess who made it for Nikon !!!

Yep, Sony makes those sensors. I have used Sony's for quite a while now and have a full frame translucent mirror camera but that is not what I mostly use.

I use the lower end compact RX-10 super zoom and find it excels for overall use.

Two sensors made by the same company are not always the same - or the same size. In general, the P&S have a smaller sensor. A 12mp sensor that is 8mm x 10mm will not give you the quality photo that a 12mp sensor that is 20mm x 30mm. The MP is dots per inch(DPI) It is the same issue you have comparing a 35mm to medium format or 4x5 film. They are all film but you can crop you photo (digitally zoom) on a larger piece of film and still get a clear photo.

In truth, filming through the canopy will degrade any camera's quality. Better lenses shooting through plexi is only as good as the plexi. The advantage of the DSLR is being able to push the shutter and instantly take the picture with no hesitation. If you know how to manually set your camera, you can compensate for poor lighting too. That can be the difference in getting a shot or not.

I have great cameras - from high end digital DSLR's to 4x5 film. When I am flying, I will most likely use my wife's P&S because it will be good enough and small.

Buy a camera like you buy a plane...

OK! Here is my .02

You should pick your camera like you picked your plane. Look at your mission and features that are important to you.

A $100 Point and Shoot in your hand is FAR better than the $2000 DSLR on your desk at home.

Features I looked for?
================
Size (compact)
Battery life
Image resolution
Optical Zoom range
External microphone jack
View finder
Dioptric adjustment for viewfinder (I wear glasses)
Remote control
Supports external flash
manual mode as well as automagic exposure
macro mode

I wound up with a Nikon P3000. Did not get everything I wanted but it was a good compromise. Kinda like the RV-9A I'm building. Almost all the features I want in a plane. 200kts at 4gph would have been nice.

:)

CC

What is the recommendation of forum members as far as a digital single lens reflex camera for good quality aerial photos. I'm not talking commercial value but for home use and sharing with others. I know the price can get astronomical, but I'm thinking in the range of $600 or so, with a lens.

Any useful suggestions will be appreciated.

Jake Thiessen
Independence, OR

Whatever you buy Jake make sure it has a good grip for one hand operation. Especially when you are flying alone. You may shoot a lot in the blind while hand flying with all your attention concentrated outside of the cockpit not on camera. Make sure there are as little extra buttons as possible by the grip it's so easy to mess the settings. I spent $500 on my D50 with kit lens ten years ago and the thing is still alive I am surprised. It's time to get something modern P&S.

Best of both worlds

I just got a Canon EOS-M mirror less camera. It's a compact camera that can be purchased with a 18-55 zoom lens or a 22mm lens. The cool thing about it is that with an adapter, I can use all my other Canon glass I have for my D50. Nice little camera to take along in the RV, or anywhere else when I don't want or need to lug all my other equipment along. Has video capability as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Compact-Systems-Camera-3-0-Inch/dp/B008NENG1A

Back