What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Recalibrated GSU-25 Attitude - Lost Magnetometer Calibration

Dad's RV-10

Well Known Member
I just replaced the legacy G3X with G3X Touch. At the same time, I replaced a stand-alone Dynon D6 with a G5 on the CAN Bus.

I had to do an attituded calibration for the G5 so I followed the installation manual's guidance and recalibrated the GSU-25 attitude followed immediately by the G5's attitude calibration.

The GSU-25 attitude recalibration seemingly dumped the GMU-22 calibration. I wasn't expecting that to happen and didn't see it mentioned in the installation manual.

I assume this is normal?

When I recalibrate the magnetometer, will that dump any other calibrations?

Yes, it is normal to need to repeat the magnetometer calibration procedure after performing the ADAHRS pitch/roll calibration. This is spelled out both in the installation manual (section 30.4.7 in revision AU) as well as in the on-screen instructions that appear prior to beginning the pitch/roll calibration procedure.

Yes, it is normal to need to repeat the magnetometer calibration procedure after performing the ADAHRS pitch/roll calibration. This is spelled out both in the installation manual (section 30.4.7 in revision AU) as well as in the on-screen instructions that appear prior to beginning the pitch/roll calibration procedure.

Thanks. I printed the relevant pages to have with me at the hangar but didn't notice any mention of the magnetometer calibration being purged. At least it's normal behavior.

I hope I can find someplace on the field to recalibrate the GMU that doesn't have a ton of steel beneath it.

Back