What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rebuilding RV12is canopy

DavidHarris

Well Known Member
I am sickened to say that I broke my RV12is canopy, and am looking for advice about rebuilding.

Yesterday I thoughtlessly lifted the canopy with the struts disconnected and didn't support it properly. It flipped over and smashed in multiple places.

I definitely need to buy a new plexiglass canopy. The plexiglass was fit and drilled to the frame and skirts. I'm concerned I may need to buy those as well and start fresh.

Is there any technique (careful drilling by eye, or something more clever) to drill a new plexiglass canopy to the frame with existing holes?

Sorry to hear about your canopy. Would a hole finder tool (also known as a strap duplicator) work?

I made a similar tool out of an old hacksaw blade and a couple of rivets. You could do the same but design it so it will accommodate the thickness of the plexiglass. I can post a photo if you'd like to see my homemade tool.

I am sickened to say that I broke my RV12is canopy, and am looking for advice about rebuilding.

Yesterday I thoughtlessly lifted the canopy with the struts disconnected and didn't support it properly. It flipped over and smashed in multiple places.

I definitely need to buy a new plexiglass canopy. The plexiglass was fit and drilled to the frame and skirts. I'm concerned I may need to buy those as well and start fresh.

Is there any technique (careful drilling by eye, or something more clever) to drill a new plexiglass canopy to the frame with existing holes?
David,

Ouch, I'm sorry to hear that! Did you build or buy your 12iS?

The reason I ask is, if you build it, remember when you drilled the rear canopy frame bow? The holes were already in the canopy frame, you had to match them to the plexiglass canopy by looking through the glass. There isn't any reason you couldn't use the same method for the holes you drilled in the front bow. (See KAI page 39iS/U-08, step #3 for details.) If you're frame isn't seriously damaged, I wouldn't scrap it.

Have you already done the fiberglass work? If so you'll need new C-1202 canopy skirts, C-1208 canopy foam, and probably C-01203A-1 and C-01203B-1s for good measure.

Back