What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

rear windows

Space Cadet

Well Known Member
Just venting... REALLY unhappy about 3 bad rear window installs, and still not one right! Yes, I'm using Weldon, but it shouldn't be this hard. This time- huge gaps bond coverage despite a smooth and even application. Instructions say apply thin layer, but this wasn't it. First two attempts had much more glue, but it made a huge mess (and I hadn't done good enough with the masking). Aaaargh.

Going to try the fourth window once I get past my attitude problems... Worst part for me yet (but haven't gotten to the doors yet!)

Dwight

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel for you, but don't think it has to be pretty. You are going to cover it up on the outside with some glass cloth, and on the inside with window trim.
John

Rear windows

I agree that getting a good bead around the windows is hard. What I did was to apply the best amount to the fuse and tabbed-in the windows, setting some aside for touch-up. Then I looked inside and applying it with a fine tube/bag I "caulked" to fill any inside gaps that could be seen. Since the window is masked and the fiberglass is translucent, it was easy to see where more was needed. Cleaned off any excess before it got too hard, and filled and sanded the outside edge. Looks fine now.

clecos

I realized right off that tape was not going to hold down the windows for a good tight fit. I used puullenty of weldon smeared on the cabin frame to make sure it would oozze out then taped the window in. where I saw gaps, I drilled #30 hole and installed brown clecos. that pulled the window in tight and I got a good seal all arouind. I had all areas covered with tape so I could wipe off the ooozee. your thumb nail makes a perfect scraper for around the inside rim of the cabin frame. be darn sure to get all the stuff off before it sets it gets as hard as granite when cured. you want the outside edge of the window to set slightly below the rim of the cabin so you can glass it in.

All better now...

Calmed down now :eek:, thanks for the support and replies. We tried #4 with the same process as attempt #3 but lots of glue, and it came out near perfect. One spot where it was too tight against the frame and shows some pink through, but not a big enough area to worry.

Claude, that's another good idea, will do that if the window doesn't just sit down perfect on this last one, but hopefully won't need to.

Whew. Moving on to landing gear and more fiberglass work.

Dwight

Back