What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rear window tip up Q.

Rivethead

Well Known Member
So I'm going to be lazy and just ask. Do you or do you not rivet the aluminum sheet directly behind the rear window in place before fitting the rear window piece? If someone could point me to a page number in the manual to find the info that would be great.

Yup!

Guess you could do it with the FWD rear top skin held in with clecoes but I don't personally see any advantage in doing that.

Frank 7a TU

My logic was...the last thing I want is riveting going on when that window is already in place. I riveted the skin on and then installed the rear window afterward. I figured the shock/vibration might possibly induce cracking. Sure sounds good and all, but think about it...flying itself is gonna produce um...a lot of vibration. :rolleyes:

I don't think it matters too much which order you use. Whatever works.

If you're gonna paint the interior, paint the exposed parts of that skin before you rivet it on. Easier to deal with paint-wise off the plane imho.

I had everything fitted up using clecoes. I then, as Dan suggested, painted the skin inside before riveting. It was easy to install the rear window after I painted the fuselage and did my final assembly.

Roberta

I did both

I riveted my top skin to that baulkhead but did not rivet the flaps on until after the glass is in place.

rivet it first

there really isnt any reason not to go ahead and rivet the skin on. no problem fitting the window and installing it post riviting.

Back