What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

rear window skin

cytoxin

Well Known Member
has anybody had any luck with installing the rear window skin prior to cutting/making the rear window. i want to rivet it on so i can do those few side skin rivets.the 705 g brackets block the shop head side as all of you past this stage know. ;) really looks like it should be doable. well im going hunting till dark
later

I've done it that way.

I riveted that skin on before cutting/fitting any of the canopy windows. Don't recall there being any real gotchas about it. Just make sure the plexie is taped tightly to the underside of the skin when drilling the holes through the skin.

There are several reasons for leaving that skin off for now. The rivets along the side are really the least of your concerns.

It's better (IMHO) to do the initial canopy fitting with that skin off. You want to be able to sit the canopy down on the rollbar and have it extend backward. Also, to have the rollbar in it's final position you really want to have the rollbar installed.

Here you can see how I fit my canopy minus the rear skin. With the rear skin on fitting it this way is very difficult.
2006-03-05.1403.jpeg

You also want to leave that skin off for as long as humanly possible. There are so many things that happen in the back -- wiring, rigging, etc. I'm leaving that skin off until the week before the DAR inspection.

Hope that helps,

I agree with Jamie on this. With all the manuevering of the canopy, you also risk damaging the skin. If you haven't riveted the skin yet, wait.

Roberta

Back