What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rear Window Position

MartySantic

Well Known Member
I have finally installed the rear window and have a question. The split depression between the two halves of the rollbar is approximately 1/8". The forward edge of my rear window just barely covers this entire split and is the same all of the way around.

1) Should the forward edge of the rear window be centered in the split.

2) Should I trim the forward edge of the rear window in preparation for the canopy?

3) Does it matter??

4) Should the rear window be INSTALLED or REMOVED during canopy installation?

Last edited:
Marty, Mine does the same thing, only it is a tad uneven. The right side is in the middle of the split and the left side covers the splt also. I was kinda freaked out about it until I saw the -12 in at SnF. It is exactly the same way. I'm sure you can fit & trim several times, but I'm not sure anyone would notice the effort.

My suggestion is clean up the edges of the rear window and install it. Trim the canopy to the clearances described in the plans.

Who Knows

I clecoed the rear window in place and did the canopy. The canopy touched the rear window in the middle, and has a slight gap on each side. Seems to work, however I will likely take a little off the rear of the canopy when I get done painting it and the final test fitting. Not sure I want them touching, but it may not be a problem either. Thus "who knows".

John Bender

I clecoed the rear window in place and did the canopy. The canopy touched the rear window in the middle, and has a slight gap on each side. Seems to work, however I will likely take a little off the rear of the canopy when I get done painting it and the final test fitting. Not sure I want them touching, but it may not be a problem either. Thus "who knows".

John Bender

Their is expansion and contraction that takes place with changes in temp. I would recommend that you have a 3/32" gap.

Scott

Agree, and as I said, I likely will do that at final fitting time. I really don't want them touching. I don't recall any instruction telling us that, but agree.

John Bender

Scott

I have finally installed the rear window and have a question. The split depression between the two halves of the rollbar is approximately 1/8". The forward edge of my rear window just barely covers this entire split and is the same all of the way around.

1) Should the forward edge of the rear window be centered in the split.

What do the engineering drawings show with regard to the position of the rear window relative to the split in the rollbar??

What do the engineering drawings show with regard to the position of the rear window relative to the split in the rollbar??

I don't recall the specifics but it really isn't important...That is the reason for the 1/32 " gap dimension on 34-05. With this many parts all being assembled (roll bar, canopy frame, rear window, etc.) and all having a little bit of fit tolerance, there will be some variation. I know it is hard to except when you have been building a kit where everything lines up pretty much exactly where it is supposed too :), but occasionally there is a need to do fit adjustments and this is one of them. The canopy being supplied finish trimmed (which is a huge jump fwd compared to the many hours of work builders spend with the other kits) was not intended or expected to be a perfect final trim fit, just get the builder close enough that some 80-100 grit sand paper can quickly remove the last little bit when making final fit adjustments.

I think anyone building a 12 who has prior experience with a canopy on a previous RV model will be amazed.

Back