What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

rear window edge cleaning

dick seiders

Well Known Member
When working with plexi the edges are smoothed with various abrasive matls and polihed with scotchbrite. Tried doing same with RV 12 rear windw to no avail. Understand this is a harder matl (lexan). So does that mean it is not nescessary to clean up the edges, or if necessary how is it done? Anyone who's been there I would appreciate the feedback. Thanks
Dick

When working with plexi the edges are smoothed with various abrasive matls and polihed with scotchbrite. Tried doing same with RV 12 rear windw to no avail. Understand this is a harder matl (lexan). So does that mean it is not nescessary to clean up the edges, or if necessary how is it done? Anyone who's been there I would appreciate the feedback. Thanks
Dick

Lexan is actually softer than Acrylic.
It can be sanded with 80-100 grit sand paper but does not finish as well as the acrylic. You are correct that it is not as critical of edge finish because of it being lexan. It is probably fine if you do nothing to it but it wouldn't look as good.

Lexan is tough, but it will stress crack, so get the edge as smooth as you can....and BTW, don't get gasoline or solvents anywhere near it.

Thanks gentlemen, for the prompt responses. Think I will dress hidden edges only very lightly, and focus on the forward edge due to fact it is more apparent.
Dick

Thanks gentlemen, for the prompt responses. Think I will dress hidden edges only very lightly, and focus on the forward edge due to fact it is more apparent.
Dick

You'll still be able to see the whole rear window edge after it is installed. I know what you are saying, but when I was test fitting mine you could see 99% of it. Imagine you are sitting in the plane and turn around, you'll see what I mean. You don't want ugly staring at you every time you turn around. JMHO.

Last edited:
Lexan is tough, but it will stress crack, so get the edge as smooth as you can....and BTW, don't get gasoline or solvents anywhere near it.

Dan is right, typical lexan does not tolerate fuel or solvents very well. The Lexan used on the RV-12 has a surface coating that makes it much more resistant to fuel (same stuff they use for NASCAR).
It is still a good idea to avoid getting fuel on it as much as possible.

I should hope that the lexan rear window is fuel resistant since it is right next to the fuel tank filler. I had hoped that the tank would be a flatter design which would distribute the weight better and leave a larger area for baggage. Also the filler could have been lower, allowing easier fuel ups.
Art Pennanen

Also the filler could have been lower, allowing easier fuel ups.
Art Pennanen

Just goes to show that things are not always as the would appear.

The filler port is higher to allow for easier fill ups. If it was low the riser tube would have a very sharp bend in it and a portion of the tube would be near horzontal. This requires fuel to be put in very slowly to keep from spilling all over the outside of the airplane.

As designed, filling with fuel nozzles will not be a problem, though you will have to lift fuel cans a little higher. All good designs are a multitude of compromises.

Back