What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rear Throttle kit

RVG8tor

Well Known Member
I am hoping someone else can confirm something for me. I am installing Van's rear throttle kit and I am using the Deluxe Throttle Quadrant up front. The rear throttle kit comes with some templates to show where the holes in the bulkhead need to go for the rod that will connect the front and rear throttle levers. I pulled a string between the levers aligned where the rod will attach, I then marked the bulkhead with this line. When I run the line down over the template (blue line in photo) the hole that will go into the 804 bulkhead seems a fair bit off. The DWG does say approximate location for the hole. The template for the hole in the 805 bulkhead seems to be spot on. I just want to know if others had the same occurrence as I am having. The other thing I would like to know is how close is the template with the inboard and outboard location of the hole. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

I believe it says "theoretical" because it will depend on which throttle quadrant you are using up front. Standard or deluxe, 2 or 3 lever quadrant. Mine was off quite a bit and I had to enlarge the hole. You're on the right track though, use the string and get it right for your -8.

Mike,

I found that for this particular installation (as with many of them), the template is just like it says: "theoretical." Just make it work on the airplane, instead of precisely following the template. Mine looked just about like yours.

Best of luck!

close for stock throttle quadrant, not quite for delux

I originally installed the standard quadrant, and the holes on the templates were pretty close to right. minor filing needed to make the pushrod not rub on anything. Then I later put in the delux quadrant, and I had to file the holes out quite a bit. Fortunately, I had put doublers on both of the 804 bulkhead pieces before, so this was not too bad a weakening of the bulkhead.

Now, why those bulkhead doublers were in there?... because I also have manual trim, and the recommended hole for the old fuselage kits for routing the manual trim cable through the 804 conflicted very severely with the location of the hole for the rear throttle pushrod. I ended up with two intersecting holes that crippled the bulkhead strength, so I put doublers in there. The mothership was rather unsympathetic to this when I called to complain, which really made me mad at the time. If they just told you to route the trim cable an inch lower, there would be no problem. My impression is that on the new pre-punched fuselages, they did this.

I used the template also and it was just a starting point. I ended up doing a lot of extra filing after the rear quadrant was in place, and you can imagine how much fun that was. Your string is probably a better guide to getting you going in the right direction. Remember also that the connecting tube does not travel in a straight motion (depending on the quadrant). I have a sort of kidney shaped hole near the forward throttle to accommodate the range of motion.

Chris

Both the front and rear holes are covered by the quadrant side plates. Do it like the flap pushrods and the aileron pushrods... expand the holes as needed to create clearance.

Karl

Back