What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

rear spar

rvcooper

I'm New Here
Howdy folks-
Got a wing situation here.
Can some body tell me what page of the plans the rear spar edge trimming is on? I'm working off an early set of plans if that makes any difference. The rear spar doesn't go in far enough to allow the main spar bolts to align. Looks like I need about another 1/2 inch or so off the rear. It's hitting the spacer bar just inside the fuse. I found a drawing on some ones web page with the trim dimensions on it but Be danged if I can find it on my plans. What would be a really big help would be knowing the trimmed length of the spar tab maybe from the last row of rivets to the edge. I think what may have happened here is a brain fart of moderate proportions and I just didn't trim it at the time. I can whack that sucker off a little bit but would like to hear what the class has to say first. It's a real bugger adding it back after you removed it.
Thanks gang - rvcooper

Rear spar trim dimensions

Emailed them May 2009 about this very question just to make sure. Dimensions on preview drawing 38 are OK according to Ken Scott @ Van's . I agree dimensions off first rib mounting holes would have bee a lot easier even as a reference dimension. Happy building.

Here is what I asked:"Detail C in DWG 10A says to see DWG 38 for trim detail. However I did not receive DWG 38 with wing kit since it is part of fuselage wing attachment, that I understand. The only dwg I have is preview drawing 38, R2 updated 11/20/01 with the following trim dimensions for rear spar trim detail ( next to title block) starting from lower left and working CCW as 1/16, 7/16, 5/32, 19/32 respectively. I did not get new set of preview drawings with wing kit so I just want to make sure that these dimensions are still correct before I trim W-707G and W-707D"
;)

I waited till I got the fuse drawing pack. Cutting after full assembly of the wings is OK. Drawing 38 detail is full scale. I used a die grinder with a cutoff wheel and a file for the fine detail. I marked this up and checked it for about a month before I finally got the nerve to cut it. It is a one shot deal.

cut off

I need to trim mine down this week... What tool did you use?

A die grinder with a cutoff wheel indeed works easiest....cuts like Butta, finish with a file. Trust Van's dimensions.
I think they show a cross-hatch (with dimensions) of what to remove. Messure accurately and go for it!

and another thing

The lower area of the rear spar requires removal of small bit of material to allow for clearance of one of the protruding rivets on the side of the fuse.
Might as well do it now. :)
regards

Cut with Band Saw

I need to trim mine down this week... What tool did you use?

Before riveting to the spar, I cut all 4 pieces with a band saw and followed up with a stationary belt sander. Then I clecoed them together and used the big 3M wheel and then the little 3M in a die grinder for the inside curve. Fast, easy, accurate.

Last edited:
Wow!
Well I guess that darn sure clears it up for me. I didn't have that info before and it was a head scratcher. Now if only I hadn't moved the whole thing across town for the wing fit I could nip out in my shop and give it a go. I'll work it out. And thanks a whole bunch fellas. Nothing beats going right to somebody that's already been there and has a straight answer.
rvcooper

Well - I went ahead and trimmed the rear spar last night. I found a dremel tool with an abrasive wheel gave me better control than the die grinder....

My cuts are just as called out on the plans... I'm planning on riveting on the last bottom skins in the next couple of nights and mating the wings to the fuselage for the first time this weekend. I guess I'll find pretty shortly if cut were true or not.

Back