What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rear Spar Rivet Question

Dave Taylor

Well Known Member
I am riveting the wing ribs to the rear spar. On drawing 10A the fifth rib from the right has me puzzled. The 2 center holes call for different rivet sizes but the thickness appears to be the same. The up triangle is an AN470AD4-5 and the down triangle is an AN470AD4-4. I'm sure I'm missing something but I can't see it. What am I missing?

Last edited:
I believe that the longer rivet will also go through the flap brace.

That makes sense

I believe that the longer rivet will also go through the flap brace.

Thanks Mel,
That makes sense. The longer rivet is on top where it appears the flap brace would go. I don't see anywhere that it says to rivet in assembly. It could be an omission in the plans or maybe I'm just missing it. That being the case I wouldn't rivet that hole until I rivet the flap brace. Can any RV-7 builders confirm? I dislike ordering new parts and drilling out rivets :)

Grab the flap brace and see how it matches up to the rear spar. You'll see which rivet holes it will use, and you can leave those rivets out for now.

Spot on

Mel,
You were spot on. It is for the flap brace. I'm glad I stopped and asked. I don't have to drill out any rivets or order any parts. I took Kevin's advice and mated up the flap brace. Thanks alot for the replies.

Back