What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rear Spar Rivet Call-Out for QB wings ??

BillSchlatterer

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Right in the middle of DWG 14a, it shows that QB wing "assemblers" should use a CR3212-4-6 Cherry on the W721 flap brace bracket at the spar root end. That is a flush cherry and I can't figure out why that should be a flush rivet. Why countersink the flap brace at all? Why not just use a normal CR3213-4-6 470 style rivet? Even on DWG 10a (attahced) where it shows the callout for slo build wings, it calls for a 470 and not a 426? So why would they say use a flush cherry instead of a normal 470? See Detail C attached.

I just hate the idea of countersinking the flap brace if you don't need to but Vans usually has a reason for everything they say to do?

Along the same lines, it shows the upper(lower) rivet on the aileron attach bracket is a 426 and I don't see anything that can come close to it for a clearance issue? Why us a 426 here instead of a 470? See Detail B attached

I must be missing something? Any insight here would be appreciated?

Thanks Bill S
7a only the wings left

The forward edge of the flap comes very close to the rivets in question when the flap is full up. Same for the aileron leading edge on the aileron hinge brackets. Go by the plans and all will be good.

Back