What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rear spar hinge bracket

jlfernan

Well Known Member
Rear HS spar inboard hinge bracket

It seems no matter how carefully I examine the plans, I sometimes goof. I just finished riveting the HS together and was about to bolt on the center hinge bracket, when I realized I put the flush rivets on the wrong side (forward instead of aft). Would it be ok to drill out these rivets and drill two more hole in the brackets and use the same nuts and bolts to attach it? For clarification, it's the HS-911 bracket. AAAAGGGGHHHH!!!

Jorge Fernandez
9A-QB
N214JL(Reserved)

Last edited:
Clarification please

Jorge,

Not sure I understand. Why not just drill out the improperly placed flush rivets, countersink the aft side and replace with the next length longer rivet? Another idea would be to drill out, CS and replace with an "oops" rivet.

...Or call Vans for their opinion.

The only problem with CS the aft side now is that is would be CS on both sides. I plan on calling Vans Monday, but was hoping to get a jumpstart here where maybe someone else has done the same thing.

Jorge Fernandez
N214JL(Reserved)

Update: 03/13/06-Spoke to Ken at Vans, he instructed me to drill out the offending rivets and countersink the side of the spar and replace the rivets. He feels there is plenty of material even with a sort of double flush installation. Now happy again.

Last edited:
Back