What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rear spar countersink or dimple?

Andy Smith

I'm New Here
The outboard row of rivets holding W-707F/ W-707A W-712 rear spar is shown as being flush to allow the aileron attach bracket to fit over it. I notice that Dan Checkoway machine countersank the W-707F spar end reinforce plate despite being, at .040 thick, is less than Van's recommended minimum for a 1/8" rivet. Should I dimple the the plate, spar and rib, or is there something I've missed, as usual.
Andy Smith

I asked Gus the same question on my -9 because I'd never stacked three dimples together before this point. His answer: dimple all 3 layers. Works just fine and my aileron brackets sit nice and flush. If the countersinked layer is sandwiched between two others, though, countersinking thinner than .050 material is OK for 426-4 rivets. My experience has been that if I follow Section 5 in the manual religously, except where Van instructs different in the drawings or instructions, then everything works out just fine. Good luck.

Thanks Steve,
I thought it had to be something like that but I'm getting more and more cautious, having made a few mistakes already.
Andy Smith
Alpington
England

Back