What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rear seat

TShort

Well Known Member
Question for the builders of the older -8 kits (I've looked at build sites, and it seems the newer kits are different). Mine's a QB from before they were prepunched.

On the plans, it shows a rivet through the F833B and the hinge, F833D (circled in blue pencil:

IMG_6417.JPG

Drilling these together with the parts in proper position will yield no edge distance for the hole through the hinge - in fact, it probably will go through the edge: (picture just shows hinge position relative to the prepunched hole in F833B, hinge would be under the seat back skin and aligned with the left edge in the picture)

EFBLH4Z9g14dkvAj43o9E9lNYC6qu2wX-fU3O_gv5tY=w824-h1098-no

How did you guys assemble this?

Last edited:
Yeah - sorry, I was just holding it there to show where the hole would be if it were in position underneath.

Edited original post to clarify...

If you bring the hinge eyes right down flush with the edge of the seatpan in your last picture, the rivet hole will probably JUST go into the hinge flange. There will be no edge distance at all - just a hair. But it probably isn't going to cause a major airframe structural failure - its' just an extra rivet on the hinge for a seat back. I'd have to take my seat out to see what I did, but I wouldn't worry about that one rivet in that location.

Thanks, Paul. Appreciate the input.

I figured it wouldn't be a structural issue, but it's strange to me that the plans show a rivet in a place that clearly misses any edge distance.

I'm still trying to decide if going with the new metal seat back is worth it - anyone have any input on that? There was a link a while back where someone weighed them both ... the link is no longer good.

Seat back

I too have an older kit and have used the newer design, went together real well.
I also have the new design front luggage hatch, and have used several parts from the newer kit. I compare the new kit using preview plans on any awkward bits like the front luggage door.

RV 3 bought flying
RV 8 very slow build.

Back