What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rear Seat Headset Hangars

vic syracuse

Well Known Member
I thought I would share an idea I came up with for hanging the headsets in the rear seats of the RV-10. I really got tired of not having a place to put them such that they would be out of the way when loading and unloading passengers. And the cool thing is they didn't cost me anything. I'm sure all of you have some of the .063 60661 T6 angle laying around, and that's what I used. I attached them to the longerons with a number 6 stainless screw, using a nylon washer on underneath the screw head and between the hangar and the longeron. Tightened the screw so there is just enough friction to keep it in place when not being used. I wanted them to not be intrusive or sharp in case of an accident. The way I have them mounted they swing forward out of the way when not in use. And I just put the intercom to the "Crew" position when we don't have passengers, and I don't get any unwanted mic noise. I actually think the headsets and connectors will get less wear and tear as a result.
I'm sure someone will figure out a way to laser cut and market them. :)

Vic

IMG_5705_1.jpg

IMG_5710_5.jpg

IMG_5708_4.jpg

IMG_5707_3.jpg

About the only problem I could see (if it's a problem) is that if it gets bumpy while flying they could pop off and fly about the cabin. I'm not sure if there's anything in the back seat of a -10 that could get jammed with a headset.

Otherwise, that's a really nice solution. Good idea that they fold forward too, in the event of an accident they can't "automatically" deploy and become a pointy bit for a passenger to get caught on.

Black button is..

the rear seat heater switch.
As for the headsets bouncing around, Carol won't let me fly in anything that will do that. :)
Seriously, a rubber band will probably take care of that. I'll grab some #64 rubber bands from the RC box and try them.

Vic

Tell me how the button turns the rear seat heat on or off. Electrically heated seats or are you turning a flapper on or off on the rear seat heat. I am building a -10.
Lynn

word of caution.

A good friend of mine passed away about a year ago a few weeks after crashing his RV-3. Looking at the wreckage, one thing that stood out was how the longerons fractured and broke anywhere there was a hole drilled in the longerons for a bolt. I personally would avoid drilling into the longerons unless it is structurally necessary. A tab using existing skin rivets would minimize any impact on the strength of the longerons.

Last edited:
Great idea Vic. I now have two of them in my RV-8 FB. They do the job in a simple easy way and I use the rubber band as well - for the back seat headset.

A couple of things...

I still have #64 rubber bands left because we don't use them anymore. :)

As for holes in the longerons, I thought about that, and drew a few conclusions. It is only one hole, the same size (close enough, as I used a #6 screw, #27 drill)) as a -4 rivet, of which there are plenty in the longerons. I don't think I have structurally impacted the airframe in any way.

Vic

I thought the same thing, Vic....

Not to mention that the loading of the longeron is actually in the vertical piece - not the horizontal.

But also any impact that is enough to bust a longeron is probably an impact that I'm never going to come out of anyway.

Phil

Back