What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rear seat headphone jack positions?

RudiGreyling

Well Known Member
RVators,

Q: Where and why did you choose your rear headphone jack location, and how did it work out for you in the end?

I am currently thinking of putting EITHER
1) RED: BOTH pax on the center aft tunnel cover, just between between the front seats; OR
2) GREEN: One on each side of the Seat cover.

Thanks in advance,
Rudi
jacks.jpg

Q: Where and why did you choose your rear headphone jack location, and how did it work out for you in the end?

Rudi,

As you know I'm not flying yet, but here is what I'm planning. The photos are from Geoff Combs RV-10. I'm using his center arm rest console. The only difference is that I'm planning on using lemo plugs for the front seat. The rear plugs are on the back side of the arm rest. Having flown in Geoff's RV-10, these locations do a great job of keeping the cables out of the way.

Bob

IMG_1839_aa.jpg

IMG_1841_aa.jpg

Thanks Bob, Very very clever!

I am not going to build a center arm rest, so wonder what the guys like me without center console is doing...

Rudi

I've put mine in the green spot on your drawing, and they seem to work OK. When I say OK, I think there might be one better location that I wish I had considered, and that would be on the cross member that supports the 2 rear seats. I think putting the jacks in that crossmember right between the seats would make for less cord entanglement when entering and exiting the aircraft. It seems normal to want to place the headsets between the seats when removing them, but then the cord is laying across your lap. The same when entering the aircraft--- the headsets have to be picked up and moved. Of course, a hangar on the side walls or top side of the aircraft would be beneficial, but I haven't figured out how to do that in a manner that would preclude a sharp edge in the event of an accident. Perhaps a spring loaded hangar-holder like in the rear seats of cars might work?

Vic

We are now days away from deciding on this and the plot thickens when you add oxygen. I was thinking in the green areas for headsets and oxygen. Then between the two front seats for the headsets and oxygen outlets. Obviously we will have hangers for the two front headsets and the 02 stuff will be stored away moat of the time.

My plan is to install the O2 in the vicinity of the Green area... Actually I'm considering building an O2 panel that would mount just below the side vents. The panel would be oriented vertically and face each passenger. (AKA: Canted about 45 degrees from the longitudinal axis, so it faces the passenger directly).

That's the plan for O2 hook ups.

I think I'm going to try and put the headset jacks just aft of the red area. Still in the tunnel, but closer to seats and behind the knees of the passengers. I'm going to have to find a creative way to so this, so the plugs don't get kicked or bent from kids (passengers) moving around in the seats. I don't think that will be too hard.

I do like having the headset cords mounted in the center of the airplane, so you can enter and exit the aircraft without getting entangled in the cords.

The O2 system would cause some issues getting in and out, but I'm willing to live with that. I don't expect the O2 to be in use very often - only for the long x-country flights. And we'll be removing O2 after 8-10K anyway, so we can have it put away by the time we get on to the ground.

Those are just my thoughts. As always, I reserve the right to change my mind. But that's my plan at this point.

Phil

Another thought

I've been pondering the same thing on my build. My rear seat thinking is on the angled part of the flap torque tube cover, right next to the tunnel- So connectors would be out of the way of feet, legs, or knees, but leave the tunnel area free of obstructions for the kids to use. I too like the idea of keeping it near the center so cords are out of the way. Expect you can hand the headsets on the rear seat-back brace, or mount a hook.

Dwight

The GREEN spot works well.

I do love that centre console above.......BUT it limits the space for say a set of Jepps or a handbag for the girls etc.

Looks nice indeed but we opted for removable squabs covered in sheepskin and more usable space.

Don't you love experimental! :)

DB:cool:

I used these set up as recessed mount.

They are located in the upper front of the removable side cover panel, and face back/down toward the rear bottom corner.

Mounting in this fashion has two advantages, one it it keeps crumbs/soda/debris out of the jack, and the other is allowing the cord to assume an easier curve instead of a sharp bend right at the plug.

Sorry no photo, but you get the idea.

Me too

Now that you show me how, thank you, I plan to use the green spots as you show. Ive just started routing my cables and I dont have room in the center tunnel I will be putting my flap control relay in there and dont want any more wire runs in the tunnel.

Back