What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rear Scat tube

Jackm

Well Known Member
Rear scat tube to the overhead console, Have anyone tested the effects of the standard scat tube with steel wire on the AHARS mounted above, rear of bulkhead? Or has anyone found scat tube with non ferrous wire? seems to me someone discussed this at one time but I cannot find via search option.

Thanks

No, but I've got at least two feet of space between them, if not more.

My naca vents and controller are mounted around the same position as the battery, so there is plenty of space to the next bulkhead where my magnetometers are located.

If you think the wire in the scat tube might be a problem, take a look at Central Vacuum System Pipe - 2" and thin.
John

Jack,
I have the scat tube installed, probably 3 feet on each side from the vent to the overhead. Both the Garmin and Dynon magnetometer are installed in the top center. The Garmin is against the f-1007R bulkhead, and the Dynon is in front of it by 6". I had no issues with calibration of either and they both work flawlessly. I have never tested the scat material to determine if it was ferrous. Are you sure it is?

Thanks everyone.

Bill, yes it is ferrous....but maybe it is not enough mass to worry about. the max distance I can secure ours away from the magnetometer is 12 inches.
I think I may follow Johns advise and find light weight tubing since I have not installed yet...Still seems to me someone had researched this a ways back...and it seemed to me Tim Olson had a comment or solution...Tim?

Brian and Brandi.....we are waiting for the release of your painted airplane....and I have to admit that was awesome how Brandi introduced Brain into future father!!!

Back