What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rear rudder kit issues

Mark Jackson

Patron
I started to put together the rear seat rudder kit today. Tried to hand fit some if it together. Immediately ran into two issues.

First is that the AN490-HT6P rod end will not fit into the tube. Given how thin the tube is, I'm not going to ream it out. I could pound it in there, but I try to avoid pounding things as a rule.

Second is that the rod end and the female Heim type bearing won't screw together. I double checked the thread sizes with a gauge and even checked the handedness. Again, I can get out the BFH to make it fit but really don't want to force it or ruin the parts.

Has anyone run into anything like this before?

I started to put together the rear seat rudder kit today. Tried to hand fit some if it together. Immediately ran into two issues.

First is that the AN490-HT6P rod end will not fit into the tube. Given how thin the tube is, I'm not going to ream it out. I could pound it in there, but I try to avoid pounding things as a rule.

Second is that the rod end and the female Heim type bearing won't screw together. I double checked the thread sizes with a gauge and even checked the handedness. Again, I can get out the BFH to make it fit but really don't want to force it or ruin the parts.

Has anyone run into anything like this before?

Not familiar with the kit specifically and i know it sounds silly but have you checked for burrs and to see if it is reverse thread?

Yeah that was one of my first thoughts so I double checked the specs for the parts based on their markings and everything should fit together.

I have a cheap chinese tap and die set I tried to use. Was of no help. Get what you pay for. I need to pony up for a good set.

I did have to “mill” down the pushrod end to get it to fit into the tube... I too, figured the tube was too thin-walled to ream it.

Back