What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rear Naca scoops and air vents

Aerosport1

Well Known Member
I am trying to get some information on adding rear Naca scoops behind baggage compartment for overhead air vents. I am at that stage and trying to decide if the extra cost is worth it or are the stock vents more than adequate. My question is for the people who have added these and flown with them does it work well? And would you do it again? And for those who do not have them are the stock vents enough especially flying in the warmer climates or do you wish you had added them.

All opinions welcome.

Thanks Geoff

My question is for the people who have added these and flown with them does it work well?

I talked to quite a few folks at OSH last year about these. Everyone I talked to had positive experiences with their overhead console and rear naca vents.

The standard vents work ok too. There are two reasons why I'm putting these in mine. The first reason is that I have a concern that the standard rear vents would have to be closed if it's raining. The main reason is that my wife requires cool air blowing on her face when traveling. In my Cherokee with floor vents didn't cut it with her. So anything that gets her flying more is worth the expense. The rear naca vents also makes it impossible for rain to enter through the vents.

My fuselage kit is on it's way, so I've been shopping for an overhead console. With all the popular vendors that used to sell them going out of business, it's made it a little tougher to find them.

Drop me an email and I'll share what vendors I found so far. I really want to stop by and see your project. I just need to find the time to do so. I'm in crunch time at the moment attempting to get the wings done before the fuselage arrives.

I have the rear vents and they work pretty well even on the ground. I didn't realize they were open and I was wondering where all the cold air was coming from. I was just sitting there at idle and they were blowing air on me.

overhead vents

The overhead vents being fed by the rear NACA inlets work really good. You even have airflow setting still with the engine at idle. If installing the overhead console make sure you seal well around the door strut mounting bracket. Even a small crack can vent a lot of COLD air... another tip if able, install the overhead console before mounting on the airframe. It sure makes it easier than standing on your head !

Ed Booth, Trenton, Sc
Builder/flyer RV-6, RV-7, RV-0, RV-10

Back