What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rear mount governor

Wesael

Well Known Member
Have any of you sucessfully used the rear governor drive pad on the IO-540 in a V-10? I have a hamilton standard gov here and it "appears" larger than the MT version that I normaly see mounted on the front drive pad. In fact it looks like it would take up a lot of my cooling air inlet.

Weasel

I don't know about mounting the governor in the rear, but my engine came with a Woodward governor on the front. I thought I'd use that and save money, but the cowling wouldn't fit - it hit the gov. So I bought the smaller gov, which fits and works great. I don't remember seeing it, but is there a place to mount the gov on the accessory case?

Kevin Belue
2008 RV-10 flying
2002 RV-6A flying

I don't know about mounting the governor in the rear, but my engine came with a Woodward governor on the front. I thought I'd use that and save money, but the cowling wouldn't fit - it hit the gov. So I bought the smaller gov, which fits and works great. I don't remember seeing it, but is there a place to mount the gov on the accessory case?

Kevin Belue
2008 RV-10 flying
2002 RV-6A flying

I am thinking I will have to do the same as you and sell my Hartsell gov and buy the smaller on from van.

I am not for sure. Maybe someone can chime in here. I thought possibly it could be driven from the hydraulic pump drive pad but I stand to be corrected.

I am thinking I will have to do the same as you and sell my Hartsell gov and buy the smaller on from van.

I am not for sure. Maybe someone can chime in here. I thought possibly it could be driven from the hydraulic pump drive pad but I stand to be corrected.

You may want to consider looking at the new Hartzell governor. It's a little smaller than the MT. Vans sells both.

bob

Back