What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rear Fuse Side Skin not matting flush on bottom

RudiGreyling

Well Known Member
Hi Guys,

fuse_06.jpg

Busy with the rear fuse, notice my Right side skin does not mate flush on the bottom after the roll +/- 1/8" gap for the full lenght of the fuse. See picture below, see the gap between the side skin and the reflection, it runs the full lenght of the rear fuse. The clecko's cant pull it tight, doubt that riveting will.
bot_skin.jpg

In comparison the Left skin did mate flush. After match drilling and stripping I noticed the bottom roll/bend the full lenght of the Left skin was 90 degrees, while the right was only 45 degrees. No picture's but you know what I mean.

Send an email of the Vans, but they are at Sun N Fun and I need a solution to bend the roll another 45 degrees for the full lenght of the fuse, so that I can continue the build

Any ideas on how to bend this long stretch and additional 45 degrees?

Thank you in advance
Kind Regards
Rudi

Last edited:
It should lay down flat as you rivet it. If not, I'd suggest the same method we use when rolling leading edges of elevators...duct tape and a long PVC pipe. It may take two people to hand-roll that puppy, but it's probably worth a shot if you're really concerned about it.

Thanks guys,

Yes I am a bit concernced cause it looks ugly on the bottom right hand side, 1/8" gap all along, I'm not convinced riveting will pull it flat, the cleckos can't.

Here is a picture of the two skins back to back, you can clearly see the R skin on top, the curve is +/- 45 degrees where as the L skin (bottom) is 90 degrees. No wonder the thing don't want to lay flat.
bot_skin_curve_1.jpg

Dan, good minds think alike, Last night before reading your post I tried the same method with a 3" pipe i had. We were 2 trying to roll this puppy, no luck the skin just has to much spring back with the 3" pipe. Maybe I should try a 2" pipe? Don't have a 2" handy so I should go out and buy one over the weekend.
bot_skin_curve_2.jpg

Vans got back to me (lucky, cuase I got an email initially saying they are over at Sun N Fun) no solution yet, they want pictures so I send them the same above today.

Any other ideas..

Thank you
Kind Regards
Rudi

Last edited:
I wonder if clecoing along the bottom edge edge first would close the gap. The edge rolling process using Avery's hockey puck or Cleaveland's vise grip tool will certainly improve the fit.
Steve

Ditto,

thought I report back, the 2" diameter PVC pipe did the trick, that and 3 people to roll this puppy, it is now Purrrrfect!

Now the rear fuse can go back together again ready to Brrrrrtt....Brrrrrtt. I see a big structure done in my near furture :D

Regards
Rudi

Back