What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rear Battery Tray

DanH

Legacy Member
Mentor
Re the F877A rear battery tray, why the four big K1000-4 nutplates in the rear flange? Haven't found a clue in the QB plans set. Some sort of bulkhead for mounting the master solenoid? An optional battery box cover?

All I got with my QB kits was the F877A tray and the 1/4"D hold-down bolts. No sign of the F-877B angles or the F877C battery hold-down, not even on the packing lists. Odd.

Those nutplates are for the battery and starter contactors [for some reason these would be called the master and starter solenoids if it were a car, but for aircraft they are conventionally called contactors].

The battery contactor should be next to the battery, so this is a good location. Depending on your electrical system design, you may want the starter contactor here, or you may want it on the firewall.

<<Those nutplates are for the battery and starter contactors >>

Thank you sir. Should have remembered that.

I think I'll make a new tray to better fit and clamp a PC680, and move the contactor around on the side.

The tray per plans works well, even if a little larger than needed for some smaller modern RG batteries. Van's suggests starter solenoid on the firewall. If you put it with the battery, you'd have two long runs of #2 wire I think. It (#2) is pretty heavy! I put the starter contacter where Van said and it seems a good location. Bill

Back