What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Really enjoying my RV

Toddsanderson

Well Known Member
Flew the plane for the first time IFR today. Light IFR - roughly 500' & 3/4 mile, but still required approaches. This plane is just so dang easy to fly and the G3X/650/507 combo makes life easy. Autopilot is dead on. I originally wanted a plane with a parachute so my wife would be comfortable, but with how easy this plane is to fly and autopilot capability I am positive I can teach her to land this plane in any weather.

I'm averaging around 168 knots @ 9.2-10.2 GPH depending on altitude running about 20DLOP and WOT/2500 RPM. Very nice to be able to fly approaches at 150 knots indicated and simply pull the power when hitting the FAF to slow down to flap speed about 1 mile out. No worries about gear speeds or anything else.

Such a great overall airplane. I don't know what I would ever replace it with to get the room, efficiency, and all around performance. I was going to buy a JMB VL3 916 to get the chute and maybe another 20 knots, but insurance is over 10k, gear speed is 85 knots, and while the Rotax is a great engine - it is more expensive to maintain. My 390 with PMAGS starts easy hot or cold and will run at 100 LOP if desired.

You’re right!

I actually typed up a big message, detailing why you’re spot on. I deleted it. It all boils down to the fact that you’re exactly right! The-14 is an incredibly well behaved, great performing aircraft. My wife has rarely controlled an aircraft, but I think she would be able to land the-14.
Enjoy!

Back