What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ready to paint the interior, maybe

togaflyer

Well Known Member
First, Happy New Year to everyone and I wish you all an awesome 2017.

So Im ready to paint the inside cabin top and door interiors. I have done the micro and finished with an epoxy wipe. It looks good for painting, so is this the correct process. Spray with a couple coats of high fill primer. Let it flash, spray two coats of color, let flash. Spray with two coat of clear coat. My question,
Do I need to sand the high fill or can I go to the color coat without sanding once the primer flashes off. Am I missing any process.

For the interior aluminum, I plan to use self etching primer, then color, then clear.

Thanks

The only reason to use a filling primer is if you still have minor imperfections to fill and sand. Otherwise, shoot a coat of epoxy primer, then your finish color.

Edit: If your fiberglass work is like mine, a coat of epoxy primer will reveal a lot of imperfections, which means more filler or several coats of high build primer and a bunch of sanding.

Last edited:
Like Kyle said, if you get a coat of primer that looks good apply the top coat.

No need (and good reasons not to) use a base/clear coat on the interior. PPG makes very good single stage paints. Two coats are fine. Save the base/clear coat for the exterior.

Carl

So is epoxy primer different then the high fill. Can The high fill be used instead of the standard epoxy primer. Before the color.

So is epoxy primer different then the high fill. Can The high fill be used instead of the standard epoxy primer. Before the color.

Epoxy primers give a relatively thin coat. High fill primers provide a thick coat that is easy to sand.

Yes, you can use the high fill on the inside of your doors and cabin top. You want to use something else (epoxy or self-etch, depending on your paint mfg's recommendations) to coat metal.

Thanks. Now I understand. Never thought I would be looking forward to getting back to just bucking some rivets.

Over glass work, I'd suggest always shooting epoxy primer first. It is the step where previously missed flaws suddenly become apparent, while they are still easy to fix. And epoxy primer is an excellent base for any subsequent step.

Ok so first epoxy primer. Then if needed, high fill primer. Then the color. When I paint the interior fusalage and panels, do I use self etching primer or do I use the expoxy primer. I read that you do not use epoxy primer over the self etch. I will be using a one component color over the primers.

Ok so first epoxy primer. Then if needed, high fill primer. Then the color. When I paint the interior fusalage and panels, do I use self etching primer or do I use the expoxy primer. I read that you do not use epoxy primer over the self etch. I will be using a one component color over the primers.

Use the primer your paint manufacturer recommends. If someone (say PPG) says not to apply epoxy over self etch, don't. If you have a QB with the etch primer, find an appropriate sealer, then prime and paint over that.

Edit: If your fiberglass work is like mine, a coat of epoxy primer will reveal a lot of imperfections, which means more filler or several coats of high build primer and a bunch of sanding.

Ain't that the truth!

You can check out my thread about High Build primer I posted last month. I got fairly good at sanding and priming though by the time I was done! Maybe 25 hours later...

Back