What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ready to light the fire

Dave12

Well Known Member
I am ready to add fire, fuel and air to the Rotax. Is there any problem with starting it without the upper cowling in place? I would like to leave it off in case of emergency.

I think all the first start pictures I have seen are without the top cowl. Check out the Van's Teen Flight 1st engine start video here, which was done at the factory.
Also, you pretty much have to have the top cowling off to hook up and check carb sync.
Some have run the engine with the bottom cowl off also, but that is probably not the best idea as the oil cooler would not be supported.

Tony

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do not have any experience with the Rotax, but that is pretty standard practice with the Lyc folks.

Congrats on achieving this milestone.

Fire that baby up! Be ready for throttle creep and have the plane tied down & chocked. Watch your temps, but a 5 -10 min run will be fine.

Good Luck!

Dave you might want to run some safety wire through the front screw holes to the engine to support the upper front part of the lower cowl where it is close to the propeller back plate so it doesn't flex out and touch. Just depends how close it is.

Mixed some air and fuel, added some spark at just the right time and does that thing sound good. Amazingly quiet. No leaks and the carbs seem to be synched up pretty well. It idles very smooth and accelerates fine. Thanks for the tips!

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mixed some air and fuel, added some spark at just the right time and does that thing sound good. Amazingly quiet. No leaks and the carbs seem to be synched up pretty well. It idles very smooth and accelerates fine. Thanks for the tips!

Sounds like time for a cold one:D

Back