What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ready for Engine/Gear

petehowell

Well Known Member
Hello,

I am ready to put the RV-9A on the gear and mount the engine - what things had people wished they had done on the sawhorses before they put her up on the gear?

Also, any tips for raising the fuse and getting the gear on would be appreciated.

Along the bottom edge of the firewall, I riveted the cowl hinges to the flange and riveted the flange in the middle. The engine mount gets in the way of doing this later. For a tailwheel, the firewall sides should be done in advance as well. The nosewheel engine mount doesn't have the tubes along the side.

Install everything on the back of the engine before mounting, prop governor and bracket, magnetos, oil cooler fittings, etc. The access is much better.

For installing the gear, I lifted on the engine mount while a helper put a saw horse under the fuselage. The saw horse ended up not being tall enough (and it's extendable), so I had to hold it up in the air while she put in the gear legs. Using an engine hoist on the engine mount would have made it much easier.

Dave

Back