What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

(Re)tightening switch nuts in panel

sjjonesnz

Well Known Member
Team, I have toggle switches installed in my panel and am finding the circular 'nut' on some of these coming loose. Pliars damage the nut and also scratch the panel.

What's the best way/tool to tighten these nuts without doing more damage?

Assuming you are using hex nuts..

What I have done in the past is to take a deep socket of the right size for the nut. Wrap the outside at the socket end with one layer of electrical tape. Wrap it so that there is about 1/8" below the end of the socket. Then press that extra around the bottom of the socket, into the socket.

So when you place the socket over the nut the electrical tape protects the panel and nuts from scratching.

You have to use cheap, thin electrical tape.

Hope this helps...

Take the round knurled nuts off, and replace them with hex equivalents (sometimes hard to find for oddball sized or metric sized switches)

Or, if you have a hex type "backup nut" behind the panel to adjust how deep the threaded part of the switch sticks thru the panel, you can always reverse them and put the round nuts behind the panel and the hex ones on the front side so you can tighten them with a box-end wrench that won't slip and scratch the panel. I also always use thin washers under the hex nuts of toggle switches and breakers to help prevent scratching the panel.

.... another method is to tighten the switches with the hex nut on the backside, assuming you have a very thin open end wrench. Then any scratches are on the backside.

tighyening switch nuts in panel

I took a piece of mylar and cut a hole just large enought to clear the nut. Place the mylar over the nut and use a pair of pliars (for round nuts) or a socket (for hex nuts). The mylar will protect the panel. If you are careful with the pliars any damage to the nut is minimal.

John Ciolino
RV-8
N894Y

There is a special tool for this. It is made like a nutdriver but the inside of the driver is shaped like the knurl of the nut. Electronic houses like Digi key and others sell them. They are fairly reasonable.:)

First as previously suggested remove the round nut and replace with the hex. After installing hand tight and assuming you have threads available you will find a small slot in the threads. Take a small flat screwdriver and use the slot to prevent the switch from rotating while you tighten the nut.

Thats it.

Pat

Back