What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RE:P-Mag Ignition wire runs

fstringham7a

Well Known Member
RE:p-Mag Ignition wire runs

I am ready to install the ignition wire runs from p-mags to plugs. Any advice/pictures/gotchas would be helpful. I have checked the forum and net.

Oh ya......sell them....replace with mags......what are you thinking using those.......No the question isn't should I buy or sell them it is.........just a simple install query...............:rolleyes:

TIA

Frank @ SGU RV7A ....NDY.....but close

RE:False Alarm

I found some great pictures on a web site that will give me great info and directions to install the ignition wires.:D

Frank @ SGU RV7A .....NDY......but close

Check out the pictures on my last engine page.

I included a bunch of pictures of my final engine installation. Note the adel clamps holding the black vacuum advance line as it runs across the top of the engine mount.

Notice too how two layers of shrink tubing was used on the P-mag wires so the purple P-mag Adel clamp holds them securely.

Nice shots - do you have a technique for the screws in the adel clamps or do you struggle like us mere mortals ? :D

P-mag wiring. Curve A or B?

I hope this is not taking the thread too far off topic.

Bill R - looking at your pictures I see you have the jumper installed which if I remember correctly is the base table. Any particular reason you have put the jumper in, and have chosen not to run 5 deg advanced? I have been thinking about this,. My thought was for break in I might run it this way (cooler) then cut or remove later.

There seems to be no published advice from emag on this point.

Thoughts?

RE: P-mag Wiring Info

Hi Frank,
I'm at that point also...care to share where you found the pictures? TIA.

:D

Hi Sonny

Here is the web site that I was refering to. http://rv9a.card-net.org/ also look for Scott Card in the Van's RV9A link sections. He has some great pictrures and info. You also will note the many problems he has encountered with the results of changing to a different system. I find this all worth my knowledge base......you know the good the bad the ugly.......Thanks Scott (if you happen to read this) for your info and honesty in dealing with your P-mag drama!!!!!!

Thanks Bill for your pictures and info.

I have the dual P-Mags wired now and today will begin the ignition wiring.

Frank @ SGU RV7A ....NDY.....but close

RE:Ade3l Clamps

Nice shots - do you have a technique for the screws in the adel clamps or do you struggle like us mere mortals ? :D

Mike

I learned a neat trick to close the clamps the other day.. Use safety wire to close them....then screw them together...cut away the wire.... and you are done.

Frank @ SGU RV7A .......ndy.....but close

Sure do and even started a tread on it some time back. Here's the link:
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=11732

Bill R - looking at your pictures I see you have the jumper installed which if I remember correctly is the base table. Any particular reason you have put the jumper in, and have chosen not to run 5 deg advanced? I have been thinking about this,. My thought was for break in I might run it this way (cooler) then cut or remove later.

There seems to be no published advice from emag on this point.

Thoughts?
Steve,

My engine was running hot for breakin and I never removed it. It is one of those things on my list to try. Truth is, my O-290 really performs well and I'm not sure I miss it. But then again, I don't know what I'm missing.

FYI - for breakin, I recommend putting the jumper in AND plugging the vacuum line. Once you get 10-15 hours on it, you are good to go.

Last edited:
[QUOTE .........AND plugging the vacuum line. Once you get 10-15 hours on it, you are good to go.[/QUOTE]

Wow! I am surprised you plugged the vacuum line also. I'll think about that one. Thanks for the feedback.

PMag

I ran for first 50 hours with jumper in and vacuum line plugged to ensure engine was broken in before connecting vacuum line to manifold pressure.

[QUOTE .........AND plugging the vacuum line. Once you get 10-15 hours on it, you are good to go.

Wow! I am surprised you plugged the vacuum line also. I'll think about that one. Thanks for the feedback.[/QUOTE]

Mike, I hate to share this secret on Adel clamp technology but I suppose I will ;-) One of the best tools in the box is $4 hemostat. Get several different lenghts and they are great for Adel Clamps and even work as a wrench on nuts in tight places, digging out things you dropped, etc.

Local drug store tool shop and Avery and lots of places to buy them cheap.

Hope this helps

Bill S
7a Ark

No Pictures

Hi Frank,

No pictures necessary really. Pretty simple.

1) Run two power wires (18ga) to the hot side of your master relay then to your breakers. (I actually went to the cold side but will probably switch them over to the hot side.) With Pmags it won't matter if your Master Relay fails since they self generate.

2) Wire from switch as directed to each Mag.

3) I ran the Ground from each mag to the main engine ground point.

4) Tach wire from either one. (Pmag if your running one of each.)

5) Jumper wire in both. Works great in this configuration.

6) Secure the wires however it makes you feel good. The simple solution is to put a small zip tie on the wires on each side of the purple adel. They can't move and will be locked in place.

7) As tempting as it might be do not tin the ends of the wires where they are secured in the mags. They will break for sure. I have 300+ hours on mine now and have not had any wiring issues at all.

I also don't know why you wouldn't run the manifold tube to them from the get go. I did and everything was fine.

Regarding the adels, hemostats work good in some cases as does the safety wire technique. As with most of you, I'm sure you made up some new words while dealing with these!!!!

.........AND plugging the vacuum line. Once you get 10-15 hours on it, you are good to go.

Wow! I am surprised you plugged the vacuum line also. I'll think about that one. Thanks for the feedback.
Steve,

I simply used golf Tees to plug the lines, secured with electrical tape. To connect the lines, I found drip irrigation tubing and fittings from the local hardware store worked great. Here's a picture of the fittings I used.

After break in

I run 34 deg max advance on 92OCT autofuel...No signs of detonation and E/Pmags have been running perfectly for 200 hours.

I did wire a switch to run 25Deg (i.e a shift of -9 degrees) so I could go to reduced advance for mogas.

But it made no difference so I stick to 34deh for both mogas and 100LL now,

Frank 1

Back