What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RE: If not When ???

fstringham7a

Well Known Member
RE: If not When ???

I am getting ready for the if not when experience of an alternator failure. Read many of the forums and have gotten some great advice. I am now running with a B&C alternator attached to an LR3C for regulation, OV/LV protection, and warning.

Now the ????? . What if any mount changes will be needed, electrical wiring changes, regulation(If an externally regulated alternator is choosen), and warning light changes will be need?

I am now doing some reverse thinking from more complex (B&C / Aeroelectric)to simple (NipponDenso internally regulated P/N 14870).

For those that have gone before me and or for those that were really smart and went simple please....HELP.....

This was the thread that got me to thinking.......Scary Thought....:eek:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=47975&highlight=alternator

Frank @ 1L8 ...RV7A... Flying

My thoughts..

Many (if not most) alt failures are caused by fauty wiring so...

1) If you have a B&C and you did a good install then failures are rare.

2) Install a BUG (back up gen like the SD-8) then no more worries about being stranded somewhere and having to find a Rileys to fix your airplane :D

3) If you have a cheap "piece-O-****" alternator installed carry a spare and tools to change it.

With an all electric airplane I chose options 1 & 2. I personally don't know of any B&C failures that were not caused by a wiring problem. If my main alt does fail the Bug will run everything I need to continue my flight until I either get to where I want to go or I decide on a good place to stop to accomplish a repair. Having the BUG give you options you wouldn't have otherwise.

From the REALLy all electric airplane

I.e where I have no mechanical pump.

hello Frank 2..:)

Either the B&c or the Plane power (internally regulated) alternators are superb quality..Personally never heard of one failing..or if they did it was poor wiring.

As I have to be a little more careful than the average bear (i.e no mech pump and i fly in IMC quite a bit) then I went for the PP and the SD8 backup.

The SD8 seems to put out more than 8 amps..More like 12A assuming your OK with letting the battery volts sink to 12V.

I found I could still conduct safe IFR operation on 12A including running a single fuel pump.

Although if the alternator went down somewhere I probably would wait for VFR before launching.

Frank 1

RE:SD8!

Walt and Frank1

Thanks for the info but.....you two have a major problem. My set up includes the SD8 for the reasons you mentioned. Boy, two guys I look up to in this experimental world and they think like me.......real scary:D

Now for the wiring. It is per Bob's Aeroelectric philosophy and diagrams!!!

Frank @ 1L8 ...RV7A... Flying

Walt and Frank1

Now for the wiring. It is per Bob's Aeroelectric philosophy and diagrams!!!

Sounds like you got everything you need for a trouble free system....

But.... even though "design philosophy" is important, IMO it's not as important as a quality installation using the right tools, materials and layout to effect a reliable system.

Back