What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RE: Bryce Canyon and Ruby's Inn

fstringham7a

Well Known Member
RE: Bryce Canyon and Ruby's Inn

This morning a group of the usual suspects made a breakfast run from 1L8 (Hurricane) to KBCE (Bryce canyon). Wayne and Joe in Wayne's Evo Winged F1 Rocket.....RED STAR 1, Gene and Rick in Gene's RV7A .....Yellow 1 (Rick runs SKYDIVE ZION and has thousands of jumps to his credit http://www.skydivezion.com/ ), Larry in his beautiful Skybolt, and Frank in his RV7A......BUZZ...

Great Flying, Beautiful Scenery, Wonderful Friends to share it with, and Good Food.

It really makes me take a step back and think how fortunate we are to live in this great / beautiful country that allows us so many freedoms and opportunities to pursue such fun and meaningful activities. Not to mention our opportunity to stimulate the economy:eek:

So as I approach the one year anniversery of BUZZ becoming a real flying machine I thank my good friends here close to home that have given me so much of their time, talent, expertise, hangar space to see my dream of flying a plane I put together a reality. I also want to thank all you folks here at VAF for your support and help. Thanks Doug.......

Frank @ 1L8 ...RV7A... Flying and Tracken (MT-RTG)

Last edited:
Question, does Bryce Canyon airport have a courtesy car, or does Ruby's Inn have a shuttle? Just wondering.

I can remember years ago, when I'd stay overnight at Ruby's Inn and drive over to the airport..............hoping that someday I'd land the RV there. Now that I do, quite often, it's great isn't it! Out here in the west, we truely live and fly in some very scenic country! :)

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Question, does Bryce Canyon airport have a courtesy car, or does Ruby's Inn have a shuttle? Just wondering.

I can remember years ago, when I'd stay overnight at Ruby's Inn and drive over to the airport..............hoping that someday I'd land the RV there. Now that I do, quite often, it's great isn't it! Out here in the west, we truely live and fly in some very scenic country! :)

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Hi Larry

Ruby's has a shuttle.

Frank @ 1L8 ...RV7A... Flying and Tracken

Very Good Fly-in Destination

The runway is very long and the airport is not far from the National Park. For a few years I organized fly-ins for the McDonnell Douglas Flying Club out of the Orange County/John Wayne Airport in Santa Ana. This was one of the better ones. We stayed at the lodge in the park. It was rustic and wonderful and they had a van that picked us up and delivered us back to the airport at the end of our weekend stay.

Southern Utah has five National Parks and we flew in to all of them over the years - they were all great trips. At Capital Reef National park transportation was very limited and I had to arrange for a local school bus to transport everyone.

Bob Axsom

Southern Utah has five National Parks and we flew in to all of them over the years - they were all great trips. At Capital Reef National park transportation was very limited and I had to arrange for a local school bus to transport everyone.

Lake Powell, Monument Valley, & Grand Canyon airspace are very close too!

L.Adamson --- RV6A

And more

Lake Powell, Monument Valley, & Grand Canyon airspace are very close too!

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Yes we flew to all of them as well as Canyon DeChelly, Mesa Verde and Chaco Canyon. They are all good interesting fly-in destinations in that area (in airplane terms).

Bob Axsom

Memories

It looks like, in the last photo, that the old Flight Service Station building is gone although the old barn-dance hangar is still there. I used to man that station on a rotating relief basis. I have quite a few memories. More of them involve driving over the hump from Cedar City, in winter, before the snowplows got out, than then actual job.

I also have memories of flying in that country in a Cessna 150. Calls for care, and soaring experience is invaluable. Wonderful country!

Last edited:
Back