What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ray Allen Grip Switch Functions?

Craig23

Well Known Member
Hello everyone,

I'm thinking of using a Ray Allen grip G-205 grip in my RV-8 and had a question for anyone who might know the answer. I have electric elevator trim but manual aileron trim. I would like to use the button on the right side (typically used for right aileron trim) to activate my starter through a relay. I thought of using the left side button as my autopilot disconnect switch. Are the buttons in the grip compatible with those functions?

Thanks,

Do yourself a favor............

Go buy an Infinity Aerospace Grip, you won't regret it. Particularly if you want starter on the stick. It would be much to easy to hit the starter using right aileron trim function. Infinity,....that's the ticket. Starter, trim, fuel pump, flaps, ap engage, comm flip flop, PTT. Works great.

The answer is yes.

Hello everyone,

I'm thinking of using a Ray Allen grip G-205 grip in my RV-8 and had a question for anyone who might know the answer. I have electric elevator trim but manual aileron trim. I would like to use the button on the right side (typically used for right aileron trim) to activate my starter through a relay. I thought of using the left side button as my autopilot disconnect switch. Are the buttons in the grip compatible with those functions?

Thanks,

Craig,
Yes, you can do that with the G-205, G-207, G-305 & G-307 hat switches. This is possible because Ray does not use a cheap "4 into 1" switch like those used in computer joy sticks. The hat switch is actually comprised of 4 individual, high quality MicroSwitch brand switches. Each switch is rated at 15 amps, so you won't need any additional relays, either.
Simply wire up the left and right switches independently of the top and bottom switches. You can find the installation manual for your stick grip below. See

http://www.rayallencompany.com/RACmedia/instructionsG2grip.pdf

Charlie Kuss

Thanks Guys

Thanks Chuck and Charley,

I'm not worried about hitting the starter button inadvertently because I have wired an enable/disable switch into the system right next to my mag switch. I wired up the relay and switch last night and got everything to function. Now I just need to run the wires up the stick and connect them to the grip. I didn't want to get a grip with too many functions because there's just not that much I want to operate from the grip. I may switch to a different grip if I'm unhappy with the Ray Allens, but I think I'll start there.

Take Care,

Craig

Same set up

Hi Craig,

I have the same set up. Elec elevator trim, manual aileron trim. Ray Allen grip with the 4 flush buttons and the PTT on the front of the grip. The top and bottom buttons are elevator trim. The right switch is AP disconnect, the left is comm flip/flop.

I highly suggest to keep the stuff on the stick to a minimum, the KISS principle. Putting the starter on there even with a cut off switch is adding complexity that is not necessary. One more point of failure.

The switches in the Ray Allen G-205/207 grips are rated at 5 amps each so you would probably want to use a relay as you suggested in your original post if you want to control your starter.

Joe's right

The switches in the Ray Allen G-205/207 grips are rated at 5 amps each so you would probably want to use a relay as you suggested in your original post if you want to control your starter.

Joe is correct about the amperage rating of the switches on the G-205 grip. I should have read the instruction sheet more carefully. My G-307 grips have 15 amp rated switches. (Microswitch model V3-15). Perhaps you could call RAC and ask them if a V3-15 switch can be substituted for use with the starter? Failing that, consider upgrading to the G-305 grip to get the higher rated switches.
Charlie Kuss
PS the 5 amp switch will work fine for the auto pilot disconnect.

Last edited:
snipped Perhaps you could call RAC and ask them if a V3-15 switch can be substituted for use with the starter?snipped.

I called RAC this afternoon, just out of curiosity. Ray said that due to space limitations, the 5 amp switches are the largest that will fit in the G-205 or G-207 grips.
Charlie Kuss

I would like to use the button on the right side (typically used for right aileron trim) to activate my starter through a relay.

You only start the plane once for a flight. I would pick out a function that you might do more than once.

Actually no

It would be useful there for emergencies, but my real reason was so that I could start the engine without having to try and hold the stick full aft between my knees while keeping my toes on the brakes, my left hand on the throttle/mixture, and my right on the mag switch. Thanks everyone for the input and opinions. ;) I got the wiring figured out and will use the Ray Allen grips for now.

Agree

Amen, to the multiple tasks on startup. I'm doing the exact same thing for the exact same reasons. Another solution would be to have the starter button next to the throttle, but I think the starter on the stick, idea is great.

Back