What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Raw stock for canopy frame?

Flying Scotsman

Well Known Member
I'm starting work on the canopy frame, fabricating pieces and parts, etc. The plans call for the following:

C-723 Wedge Space made from AB3-1 1/2 x 3/4
C-725 Ball Stud Fwd Mount made from AB3-1 1/2 x 3/4

I can find no such raw stock anywhere in my inventory. What I DO have is the following from the 6/6A Tip Up Strut Kit Contents (reading directly off the parts sheet):

1 AB4-1/2x3/4x5

That seems to match precisely height and width of the C-725. Wrong material, right cross-section. So that's question one...is that the right material for the forward ball stud mount?

Second, I have two big honkin' blocks of AB3...AB3-5/8 x 1 1/4 x 4, to be exact. The Parts List shows

C-723 WEDGE SPACER 2 48 MATERIAL AB3-1.25X.625 FIN-T

Are these two 4" long pieces of stock really for a wedge that is 5/32 thick by an inch and a half long? Huh? Something doesn't seem right here...

Any help would be appreciated. I don't want to start hacking these pieces up only to find out later they're really for something else, and have to wait a week for new stock to arrive.

TIA

Steve

With Struts

I had the same dilema and finally found the material packed with the struts. Hope you do too.

I just made the 723s last night out of that big honking stock you note. Having four corners to make the wedges from helps if you need to make more than two. They took me a little more than an hour to make the two required. Wait on fabricating them until you need them, as the dimensions on the plans are only approximate. Mine only needed 1/8" at the big end.

I believe the stock for the ball joints is taped to the struts.

C-723 Wedge Space made from AB3-1 1/2 x 3/4

Second, I have two big honkin' blocks of AB3...AB3-5/8 x 1 1/4 x 4, to be exact. The Parts List shows

C-723 WEDGE SPACER 2 48 MATERIAL AB3-1.25X.625 FIN-T

Are these two 4" long pieces of stock really for a wedge that is 5/32 thick by an inch and a half long? Huh? Something doesn't seem right here...

Steve

Thanks. Yeah, the stock for the ball stud mounts was with the struts...started fabbing them today. As for the others...ooookaaay :) Seems like a crapload of material for some pretty small parts, but what the heck? LOL!

Thanks, guys...building on!

Steve

Back